Kenaf

Started by Ohio Alex, 2026-09-15, 08:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Alex

Dang, forgot I had this account.

Anyway, this year I have experimented with kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus) as a fiber crop in the Midwest. Not sure why this crop entices me so much, but who knows. I planted seeds from Great Lake Seeds (about the only source I could find) along with 5 accessions from the USDA. My end goal was initially to have a variety that reliably set seed and to eventually have a landrace that reliably reaches 7 feet tall.

First impressions are nothing short of amazing. The accessions from the USDA have all nearly flowered, my only hold out being a North Korean selection, and are cross pollinating. I suspect that I will have plenty of seed to see how future offspring traits will radiate. Only one cycle of weeding took place in late spring and a light fertilizing of cow manure in summer, yet I have some canes that are near 9 feet. It seems like my expectations will need to be heightened next year. I can only imagine how tall they could be if only foxtail grass waist high wasn't sucking away nutrients.

Kadence Luneman

I haven't grown it yet but I got some fiber kenaf seed from EFN. What do you do with your kenaf?

Ohio Alex

My intention is as a mulch, but I've also found the leaves to be quite tasty (much like sorrel)

Ohio Alex

I am confirming that my crop has been able to set seed. Better yet, I'm sure multiple selections will set seed (only the North Korean accession hasn't flowered yet).