UK Maize

Started by Tim DH, 2021-11-28, 09:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim DH

Tomorrow, hopefully, is direct sowing day for maize. Seed saved from the best dozen cobs from each of the last four years. So that is a notional 48 mother plants. Sowing depth 4.5", controlled by the pliers.

Martin Mikulcik

#46
Why so deep?

Edit:  oh for lodging.  Is your stand particularly thin because corn doesn't have that problem here and we have 40mph wind off the plains. 

Tim DH

Hi Martin,
      I don't think its just wind speed with us. I live in a built up area which I guess increases the turbulence. Last year, one of my maize patches looked like someone had set off a bomb in the middle of it. Stalks pushed in all directions from a central spot. That was exceptional.
     The usual problem is the constantly changing direction of the wind, which can worry a hole round the plants. Of course its difficult to scientifically measure/prove, but I reckon deeper planting helps reduce wind rock.
     It is also possible that I get slightly less slug damage on the emerging seedlings with deeper planting.