bush beans in winter greenhouse

Started by Diane Whitehead, 2024-09-15, 02:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Whitehead

Usually bush beans stop producing when the pole and runner beans start, but this year I am still picking Blue Ribbon bush beans.

I've decided to grow bush beans in the unheated but frost-free greenhouse that is attached to my house. It will be easy to pick them for dinner - just step out the kitchen door.

I've chosen 15 kinds that are early.  Some are described as being tolerant of cold soil.

For instance, Pizarecka Zlutoluske   delicious round yellow pods on sturdy plants. Super productive, early, cold tolerant

and Provider   germinates in cool soils
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Adrian

#1
Hi Diane, very funny idea.
The bean germination required at least 15°C 59°F.However if the t° is under 15°C 59°F but the weather is sunny when it grown it will grown more slowly but the leafs will be more larges.
Probably some news varietys can germinated under.

You can dip it the seeds some hours in hot water before the seedling.

In greenhouse i think that the cow peas can be a great sucess. You stopped the watered when you want started the flowering stepe.Warning a too humid soil at the
 germination can make rot the seeds.


Diane Whitehead

Yes, Adrian, it is a funny thing to do, but I think it will be fun.  It won't cost me any money as I already have the seeds.

Today's temperature is 18 C outside, and 20 C inside the greenhouse.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

whwoz

Will be interested in seeing how the beans do for you Diane.  Looking forward to hearing comparison between the various varieties.

Cathy A

Have you tried runner beans in the greenhouse?

I have been favorably impressed as my scarlet runner beans continue to produce outside as the nights get cool and the common green beans are rapidly dying. I thought they might be tough, but they are delicious and juicy, even eaten raw.

Gina Smith

Quote from: Diane Whitehead on 2024-09-15, 02:15:11 PMI've decided to grow bush beans in the unheated but frost-free greenhouse that is attached to my house. It will be easy to pick them for dinner - just step out the kitchen door.

I've chosen 15 kinds that are early.  Some are described as being tolerant of cold soil.

Hi Diane,  how are your bush beans doing? I'm experimenting growing a few varieties inside the house - sunny windows plus supplemental LED lights. No fruits yet, but the plants are doing well. Some are about 18 inches tall already, but still too early for flowers.

Since this is a frost-free location (foothills in So.California), I'm also planning on experimenting with 5 or 6 varieties outside on a table, against south-facing windows. The sun shines from sunrise to sunset, so it might work. Tomato plants survive the winter outside, why not beans?



Diane Whitehead

Hi Gina,

There are tiny flower buds forming.  Not all plants have survived, though.  Some have fallen victim to white mold on their stems.  Maybe this has a name, but I don't know what.  I'll keep track of which varieties succumbed - maybe some are more susceptible to it.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

#7
Well, no beans yet - not even one flower.

Most of the plants succumbed to the mold, but these three are still alive:  Cherokee Wax, Pizarecka Zlutoluske and Uzura Mame.  I'm going to sow more of their seeds now, so maybe I'll have spring beans.

No luck.  I'll have to wait for summer beans.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Diane Whitehead

Well, I'm trying again in the greenhouse.

Didn't have much luck with beans this summer as rabbits managed to sneak under the fence and beans are their favourite snack.  At least they left the peas alone, and they haven't managed to get into the greenhouse.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil