Squash recipes

Started by Kadence Luneman, 2022-10-10, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadence Luneman

Thought it would be fun to make a recipe thread. Do you have a recipe that works for most squashes? One that's perfect for a certain variety? As someone who grew up shredding what felt like a million pounds of zucchini for zucchini bread.. I'll probably never eat zucchini bread again and I'm always looking for new recipes!

Juliadakin1

I've been enjoying squash for breakfast every morning, as kind of a porridge. I usually already have baked/roasted squash left over, so I just add some milk, nuts, and berries. Surprisingly it keeps me fuller than oatmeal does. 

Savory squash 'flan' is my next favorite-- kind of like making a custard recipe and I guess a little like a frittata. But you have to be careful to get the texture right, otherwise it's too much like a frittata and I'm not looking for that. I think this random internet recipe was the original inspiration https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/butternut-squash-flan-with-parmesan-sage-sauce-230738

I get tired of squash soup pretty easily, but so far I haven't gotten tired of squash porridge every morning.

I have another 50 ish each left Lofthouse Maxima's to taste, 50ish from my acorn delicata grex to taste, and a few crates of moschatas. So... I'm also looking for new and tasty ways to eat all the abundance while finding the best seeds.

Tim DH

Hi Julia,
   Welcome to the forum! That's an impressive harvest of squash. With that sort of quantity I'd be interested in selecting for storage qualities. We had one butternut keep  until October last year...

   Porridge is an interesting idea. ... I'll suggest it to the Boss.

   Quite a bit of our squash goes (grated) into a variation of Carrot Cake. We've also used grated squash to replace a proportion of the potato in a 'Hash Brown' mix.

Tim DH

UnicornEmily

Ooh, I like the idea of making hash browns with squash.  I don't really like grating (I'm too lazy; it's too much work), but I bet if I chopped up some spaghetti squash strings into short chunks, it might work well in the same way.