Extraordionery tall fava beans

Started by Richard Watson, 2020-11-01, 08:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Watson

Had a message from a customer who had bought 'El Beano' from us a couple of year ago to say they have had plants grow as tall as 3 meters and given huge yields. She grows organic and is passionate about permaculture growing, so there's been no high flouting modern fertilizer used to have caused this amazing growth. Anyone experienced anything like this

https image hosting
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 23 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Ocimum

wow that's a giant! I have never seen anything like this. Did she save seeds of the giant ones?

there seems to be little wind in this area, am I wrong?

Richard Watson

Quote from: Ocimum on 2020-11-03, 07:08:49 AM
wow that's a giant! I have never seen anything like this. Did she save seeds of the giant ones?
I sent the photo to Neville who's the grower of that variety, it amazed him as he gets nothing over a 1.5m tall


Quote from: Ocimum on 2020-11-03, 07:08:49 AM
there seems to be little wind in this area, am I wrong?
No where in NZ escapes the winds that this country is prone to, they have to have been tied to bamboo
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 23 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Steph S

That is really impressive!   Would certainly make it worth growing them.   Let us know what becomes of it.

Richard Watson

I will ask her if they do the same again this summer
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 23 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

William Schlegel

This spring I burned an old brush pile. I planted fava beans there. Nothing like these giants, but four times as tall as usual. Though lots of weeds and rodents stole most of the seeds! So a little wood ash maybe!
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Richard Watson

I'll ask her about wood ash, must be some reason why they grew like that.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 23 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Nicolas

Jack and the Favabean stalk

Really impressive, i hope there is genetic behind that

Jeremy Weiss

Actually, if you think about it, Jack's beanstalk would HAVE to be a fava bean. The story pre-dates the introduction of the common bean into Europe from  the Americas.

Nicolas

Quote from: Richard Watson on 2020-12-30, 04:11:59 PM
I will ask her if they do the same again this summer

Richard have you some news about this giant bean ?

Richard Watson

Have not heard back from those folks Nicollas, I will have to give them a ring to see how its done this spring.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 23 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

gmuller

while the size is impressive, i think the horticultural uses might be a bit limited. Very useful for those growing in limited spaces, but lodging would be an issue in field or normal garden growing.
gm

Nicolas

Quote from: Richard Watson on 2021-11-16, 12:15:58 AM
Have not heard back from those folks Nicollas, I will have to give them a ring to see how its done this spring.

Thanks Richard ! This picture is really impressive, it makes me dream about growing and further breeding it :) Hope we will have good news about it