Hydroponics

Started by AndrewB, 2025-03-26, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewB

Trying my hand at some hydroponics again. I've learned a lot since my first failed attempt many years ago.

First plants are doing well. Planning some crosses too. Using a custom 3d printed netplug for the Califa Oat Milk bottles. Planning on an Uluru Ochre x Moonglow for a tomato cross. I can make my 3d printing files open source for anyone interested. I may also cross the twilights dark cherry with uluru ochre.

Tomatoes:

Terrior/underwoods galapagos tomato cherry
Uluru Ochre
Moonglow
Twilights dark cherry tomato

Others:
Komatsuana
Generic leaf lettuce
Parsley pea (snap version?)
Alternate parsley pea mutation (Marx line)

And attempting to germinate really old seed for Virescens Mutante pea.


Tim DH

Hi Andrew,
     I'd be interested in seeing your custom 3d printed netplug on its own, from a few angles.

     What are the principal things you think you've learned since the last try?

Tim DH

AndrewB

#2
Quote from: Tim DH on 2025-03-28, 10:47:44 AMHi Andrew,
     I'd be interested in seeing your custom 3d printed netplug on its own, from a few angles.

     What are the principal things you think you've learned since the last try?

Tim DH

Thanks Tim,

The entire CAD file can be viewed and/or copied for free using OnShape from the following link:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b08b1c4c4df560cb0c04386/w/d4b18e98e55d4b16a0f99a4a/e/892956d87ae55721bb603db0?renderMode=0&uiState=67e742e9fbac3b084be9e094

Here is the current iteration, from multiple angles.

The main things I've learned so far:

1. pH is critical. Last time I was NOT adjusting the pH of my water. Here in my area the tap water is very alkaline. (I am realising this is also the reason why I was having trouble growing Squash and Pumpkins in soil, because the heavily alkaline water/soil led to iron not being soluble and they had an iron deficiency.)

2. Air is essential to roots (this means not flooding plants with too much water). In these bottle type systems, this means that there needs to be air at the top of the container. I guess there are air roots as well as roots that take up water/nutrients.

3. Good airflow is essential (from a fan). This helps prevent damping off or issues with seedlings, but also makes sure evapotranspiration is happening. Plants don't have lungs, so they need moving air. If the air is not moving, then they will basically suffocate or at best not take up any nutrients/water and wont grow.

4. Good lighting is important.

I'm still in early stages this time around, but so far I'm already having more success. I'm sprouting some thai basil to try in this bottle system. I think basil and some other herbs would do well like this. I tried to design this netcup to have half moon circles at the top on the sides to allow as much airflow in through the sides as the top opening. I added a hole in the bottom that theoretically could be used to tie a piece of rope/string for capillary action to bring water to the cup.

I am planning on making some grow towers as well.

Adrian

#3
More important i think that you will have required of couplings.

What do you thinked of my coupling 3D printing?
Third picture the next coupling that i want printing.Model adapted dor pipe of out ∅10,5mm.
I want add a screw thread for the next 3D printing.
AndrewB do you use cura?