Author Topic: Breeding for yield in Organic Open Source Systems  (Read 3982 times)

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breeding for yield in Organic Open Source Systems
« Reply #30 on: 2018-12-17, 01:51:26 PM »
I checked with CIMMYT about obtaining seed of the diverse populations of small grains they have developed.  They will send them "free" for your own use or for research.  BUT you would have to sign, or agree without actually signing, to a MTA Material Transfer Agreement.  Read it carefully before signing or agreeing to it.  There are long term conditions on the resulting seeds.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Breeding for yield in Organic Open Source Systems
« Reply #31 on: 2018-12-17, 04:46:17 PM »
I checked with CIMMYT about obtaining seed of the diverse populations of small grains they have developed.  They will send them "free" for your own use or for research.  BUT you would have to sign, or agree without actually signing, to a MTA Material Transfer Agreement.  Read it carefully before signing or agreeing to it.  There are long term conditions on the resulting seeds.

It's a backburner project for me at the moment.

I do however have a front burner one where I got three seed packets from the tomato genetic resources folks at Davis. They asked me to sign an agreement. Not onerous, buy I need to give them credit in publications and send a copy of the agreement onward when I share seeds.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days