Author Topic: Moschata x pepo for insect resistance?  (Read 46 times)

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
    • Email
Moschata x pepo for insect resistance?
« on: 2021-06-08, 09:25:03 PM »
I planted moschatas and pepos--the pepos are being eaten alive by the earwigs, the moschatas under exactly the same conditions (just a few feet apart) are being left alone.

I'm wondering what would happen if I crossed the moschata and pepo, then back-crossed into the pepo line. Possibility of keeping the insect resistance while reverting to the pepo?
« Last Edit: 2021-06-09, 05:06:48 AM by Lauren »

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
Re: Moschata x pepo for insect resistance?
« Reply #1 on: 2021-06-09, 10:08:29 PM »
Pepo seems to me like it's the furthest removed from other squash species. The few times that I have thought I might have an interspecies cross with pepo as a parent, the seeds didn't germinate, or the plants died without producing offspring. A few manual interspecies crosses that I have tried with pepo as a parent didn't set seeds.

That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. Just that my particular varieties and methods didn't work in a particular growing season. Biology is fuzzy.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
Re: Moschata x pepo for insect resistance?
« Reply #2 on: 2021-06-09, 10:42:27 PM »
Chance started an interesting thread.

http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?topic=523.0

"Cucurbita lundelliana bridge"

This species has been used to move pepo - moschata - maxima - argyospermia traits together.

Most squash types don't readily cross outside of their species.

Moschata and Argyospermia/Mixta can apparently hybridize relatively easily, which would be an exception.

Like Joseph said, pepos are pretty far removed from the other domesticated types.

I would try looking for another pepo cultivar with noted insect resistances first, or trialing other pepos to see if they are eaten at as well.