Author Topic: Tomato Journal  (Read 1302 times)

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
Re: Tomato Journal
« Reply #75 on: 2021-07-21, 04:47:05 PM »
Exciting times! I've had some more firsts: Brad (EFN), silvery fir tree (annapolis, which surprises me: the hh plants were bigger and more robust to start), cole (annapolis), wild cherry (salt spring seeds -- this looks like a smaller sungold to me, haven't tasted it yet), and my green grocery store cherry. That green cherry really impresses me: it's a little crunchier than I normally like my tomatoes, but even the first fruits are sweet and interestingly flavourful and early. I am saving a lot of seed from that one.

My field exserted oranges are pretty uniform, but the one in my greenhouse has huge beefsteak-y flowers with at least a full cm of exsertion on many of them. Whether that's an environmental factor or not I'm going to make use of that for some crossing.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #76 on: 2021-07-21, 06:26:26 PM »
Yeah, that one with the 1 cm exsertion! Extreme exsertion is more stable and more useful for crossing. Dust those stigmas with your favorite pollen!

That's the strategy I took with the strain of Blue Ambrosia I found to be exserted in 2017. When I save seed from it I pick the extreme exserted plants and also I like to dust those with pollen. Which is how I got Exserted Tiger. It's also how I picked the plants I saved seed from in 2019 to growout what became Exserted Tiger and Exserted Orange in 2020.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-21, 09:54:15 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 01:19:26 PM »
Some S. chmielewskii flowers fell off indoor without fruits - I had been attempting to hand pollinate them using pollen from other species.

I noticed some bees were pollinating the outdoor plants, I hurried and moved the pot outside in between some plants.

Bees spent over 10 seconds on some the flowers, at least five seconds on other which were also revisited - which tells me that these plants are pumping out pollen.

Some of the newer flowers aren't as exserted, still looking pretty nice though.

The pot was placed next to a highly exserted habrochaites, Wild Gem.

There are more habrochaites flowers / plants than the wild gem. Unsure habrochaites if able to pollinate these (supposed) S. chmielewskii plants - it would be a SI plant as the father, SC as the mother. I haven't worked with anything in its group though.

If not, S. chmielewskii might have pollinated some habrochaites or could have pollinated some other exserted species / varieties.

Wild Gem has a few highly exserted flowers, S. habrochaites is more likely to pollinate them due to the plants touching.

S. chmielewskii could have pollinated itself from the bees as well.

Everything else is starting to put on large amounts of tomatoes.

Weight in Gold (trial) has two distinct plants that I am growing, I have two slightly different Wild Gems as well. I purposely selected for off type plants, most seedlings were uniform.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 02:09:23 PM »
Yea to more blushing.  Still waiting on the mystery F2's.
Major surgery yesterday on a couple of big plants that got some kind of blight or mold I didn't want in the greenhouse.   Hot and humid is the worst in there, mites and mildew liking it best.  More plants moved outdoors.   We had some welcome thundershowers after a long stretch of humid weather with no rain, stayed steamy for a day but then the temperature plummeted again with more drizzle and fog, and today we're back in the low 50's again.
Didn't have to water anything though.  :)