Author Topic: Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomato Project  (Read 955 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomato Project
« Reply #30 on: 2021-06-18, 03:41:05 PM »
Found first plant to save seed from based on flower structure. Guessing around 5 or 10 plants blooming so far.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2021-06-18, 03:53:56 PM »
Also did not take a picture, but on a lot of plants the very first flower seems to be forming as an extra big messy beefsteak type. Which makes perfect sense with Big Hill as the highest percentage domestic ancestor.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-18, 10:58:43 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2021-06-25, 10:18:25 PM »
I think this was my favorite flower today. A first flower of a R18 G2

Chance

• View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Cfa
  • Hardiness Zone: 7
« Reply #33 on: 2021-06-26, 01:41:23 PM »
Same William

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2021-06-27, 07:21:08 PM »
I wrote the word "exserted" on the marker flag of about 5 of the 119 or so transplants in my promiscuous isolation block.

Guessing that is around 10% of those actually blooming. Disinclined to remove the failures as they may be otherwise interesting and or informative.

If at some date I realize that obligate outcrossing has failed with this population I think I would isolate the rare extreme exserted individuals. In some ways the rarity of extreme exsertion may be evidence towards outcrossing. For example, I learned working with unisolated Blue Ambrosia that I needed to continually select for extreme exsertion. Last year most plants in the population had at least minimal exsertion. I did not select for it. I suspect that R18 has a higher rate just as extreme forms of Blue Ambrosia did.

Could also be that exsertion rates will increase with later flowering plants and or July temperatures.

I'm hesitant to select too harshly for exsertion alone if this population has obligate outcrossing. There are a few potato leaf individuals whose seedlings may confirm a outcrossing rate. I would say 100% PL = no outcrossing, 1-3% RL = moderate exsertion, 30% RL = highly exserted, and 70 to 100% RL = strong evidence for obligate outcrossing. Not sure what I would make of 40% to 60% RL. That would be really good but what would it mean? I could interpret that multiple ways.

Inserted individuals will also be interesting to observe for signs of infertility.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-27, 11:15:01 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2021-06-27, 10:59:51 PM »
Layer cake flower. First bud. Second bud convinced me to write exserted on the flag but this flower is just a triumph of fusion. I think it goes involucral bracts In The center, then petals, then a green stigma tube, then anther tube, then petals, then involucral bracts again.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-27, 11:04:01 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2021-07-02, 08:48:40 PM »
Well about four of six promiscuous project bicolors I planted with the LA2329 Habrochaites have flowered. The first of these I looked at has very good exsertion and is thus ideal for seed saving with hope of crossing. The other four not quite as good. The Solanum habrochaites itself I suspect maybe next weekend it will be blooming.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-02, 08:50:54 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2021-07-02, 08:56:30 PM »
Also Bombus are visiting R18

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #38 on: 2021-07-07, 09:33:42 AM »
Found some small insects on some Peruvianum flowers. They have been climbing all over them. Buzz pollination would probably be best for these flowers, bumblebees will probably still visit them anyway.

Haven't found them on other species yet.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2021-07-09, 05:02:57 PM »
My last surviving potato leaf direct seeded is blooming and is exserted. With that combination of traits I suspect it belongs to the promiscuous project despite it being in the mixed planting. Should be fun to find out its outcrossing rate.