Author Topic: Favorite Tomato Germplasm and 2021 desired crosses  (Read 259 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Favorite Tomato Germplasm and 2021 desired crosses
« on: 2021-04-11, 08:25:51 PM »
I suppose my favorite tomato germplasm is that I want to make crosses with the most. I was looking over a list of my favorite short season varieties after 2017. Thinking about exciting new varieties I've encountered since. Then crossing out most of the boring red ones.

Big Hill is one I first grew in 2018. It's a great tomato. I still want to make more crosses with it. Most importantly with Mission Mountain Sunrise. Lower priority cross it to exserted tiger.

Want to cross exserted tiger with Mission Mountain Sunrise.

Want to cross exserted orange with the blue orange chile tressette descendents.

I think I would like to cross Payette with a exserted and or fancy tomato maybe Big Hill would do.

I would like to finally make a cross with sweet cherriette.

I would like to cross LA2329 with an XA1/A2 bicolor. I was thinking R18 or S35/36/37 but those are a smidgeon rarer.

LA2329 x MMSunrise might be nice though a little problematic until the prebreeding of getting a MMSunrise x Big Hill is done and an exserted segregate selected. Still might be doable.

Then maybe just a crossing block of exserted tomatoes: big hill, exserted orange, blue ambrosia, blue chile tressette, exserted tiger, exserted pimp x tressete cross. Spose I could plant it in the block with the obligates too.

Iron Lady, it would be nice to cross it with something Carol Deppe style. Maybe an exserted.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-11, 08:35:27 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
Re: Favorite Tomato Germplasm and 2021 desired crosses
« Reply #1 on: 2021-04-11, 10:18:46 PM »
Crossing Iron Lady with an exserted tomato could remove the problem of losing certain resistances unknowingly. Backcrossing later on to the F1 might be nice as well.

I will probably make a list of my desired crosses here as well.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #2 on: 2021-04-11, 11:10:02 PM »
Favorite germplasm that I want to make crosses with:

Big Hill crossed with: Purple Smudge - Burnley Bounty - Double Rich - Reisetomate x Habro F2 - Woolly Kate - Wasipinicon Peach - Costoluto Florentino - Wild Gem - Muchacha! - Weight In Gold - Eva Purple Ball - Saraev-M22 - Neandermato

Just a small sample of the Big Hill crosses that I want to attempt. These would be the ones of the most importance to me.

Reisetomate x Habro F2 could give me an exserted tomato with 4-6 stigmas. Could get crossed with more than one tomato which would be pretty cool. Reisetomate's abnormal stigma trait appeared in the F1. Assuming it is dominant.

The others are to add in various fruit shapes, further cold hardiness, fruit set, brix level.

Then there is the pimpinellifolium x habrochaites F2

I want to cross it with Alberto Shatters due to how exserted it is.

Alberto Shatters will probably be a parent for most of the pimpinellifolium group. Crossing with the pimp x habro at this stage will probably eliminate the exserted trait. Probably crossing Alberto Shatters with some habrochaites as well. Probably Neandermato.

I want all sorts of various pimpinellifolium - habrochaites traits along with new leaf types, large flowers and high exsertion, cold tolerance from Neandermato. Mostly a breeding population, and a place to toss any small fruited wilds that anybody wants to add into future projects. This way it won't harm the developing promiscuous populations with small flowers - undesirable traits, they can get weeded out in this group. Eventually whatever gets tossed in just adds to the diversity. Cherry sized fruits would be ideal for this group.

I have all sorts of other crosses that I will be attempting. These are just my favorites.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2021-04-12, 12:05:47 AM »
Neat I might want seeds for woolly Kate and wild gem sometime. Both sound interesting as do crosses with them and Big Hill.

Knowing how this has been going for me I may not manage all my intended crosses but who knows maybe I'll do more! Gotta use that box of 1000 price tags sometime. Also a few will be strategic: like placing one obligate outcrossing plant with the LA2329. The crossing block of promiscuous plants should mostly cross itself. I have lots of seed for potentially crossed exserted plants from prior years. Including all the Big Hill and Blue Ambrosia seed from 2018 and 2019. I  should direct seed some of it sometime again like I did in 2018 with Blue Ambrosia which led to Exserted Tiger. I am sure there were additional red crosses in that mix which I would have wanted to keep if I had known the fathers. I also have envelopes from many lines from my massive F2 mix of 2019 of things like pale yellows which are still largely unexplored.

« Last Edit: 2021-04-12, 12:18:00 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-04-12, 11:09:56 AM »
Crossing Iron Lady with an exserted tomato could remove the problem of losing certain resistances unknowingly. Backcrossing later on to the F1 might be nice as well.

I don't think exsertion is much of a hedge against unintended PH2 and PH3 loss, inbreeding is inbreeding regardless of some percentage of uncontrolled crossing and if I select for the external traits I want essentially reselecting for Big Hill I stand to loose the PH2 and PH3 traits which I can't see. I think the best course of action is to save and perhaps freeze F1 and F2 seed and or send it to someone who regularly has bad late blight now. Though another route might be to maintain a large population size while minimizing selection.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-12, 12:37:55 PM by William S. »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2021-04-17, 11:36:55 PM »
Realized that Mission Mtn. Sunrise is so short season I can plant more and get more potato leaf plants.