Author Topic: Is the word landrace just jargon for "variable population"  (Read 548 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Is the word landrace just jargon for "variable population"
« Reply #15 on: 2021-05-29, 12:34:11 AM »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2021-05-29, 05:31:15 AM »
Evolution, to me implies very long term and natural change so in my mind it does not fit with what I'm trying to do in my garden. I guess I would describe my goals more as "adaptive plant breeding". Well actually not even that because breeding to me, implies purposeful crossing to produce specific traits and in many cases I'm not even doing that.

If I had to put a term to it I think "adaptive plant selection" might make most sense to me. I gather up a bunch of varieties of a species and select or in most cases, at least in first few seasons, let the soil and weather select those that do well. 

My breeding or selection work is most advanced with corn and sweet potatoes but I still do not think I would describe either as a local landrace. I'm not sure I would even apply the term to my radishes, turnips or dill even though they are now well adapted self perpetuating species in my garden.

Wen it comes to a landrace only my columbine, asters, bluebells and dame's rocket fit the description as they were all gathered up in my general geographic area selected for traits I like such as larger or more fragrant flowers. My garlic might fit as well since I gathered it from many feral patches but any landrace aspects regarding it happened long before I came along.

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2021-05-29, 07:43:32 AM »
Good thread!

"Landrace" is also genebank terminology. The FAO/Bioversity list of Multi-Crop Passport Descriptors includes a descriptor called Biological status of accession.
One of the values to choose from is "Traditional cultivar/landrace". I think the options they give for this descriptor give a good overview about different statuses material can have.
https://www.bioversityinternational.org/e-library/publications/detail/faobioversity-multi-crop-passport-descriptors-v21-mcpd-v21/

On a side note, with the new EU Organic Regulation (2018/848), a new legal term was introduced as a seed category in the European Union: organic heterogeneous material (OHM). I still don't fully understand the complete definition, but among other things, OHM

"... is characterised by a high level of genetic and phenotypic diversity between individual reproductive units, so that that plant grouping is represented by the material as a whole, and not by a small number of units"
(http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg/2018/848/oj)

I kind of like that sentence.
« Last Edit: 2021-05-29, 07:47:19 AM by Klaus Brugger »

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #18 on: 2021-05-29, 08:16:55 AM »
Evolutionary plant breeding is also a term I use more often. It's sometimes more in the scientific realm as well.

I remember reading an article about evolutionary plant breeding wheat. It was literally describing mixing multiple wheat varieties together, letting them cross pollinate and then saving seed from whatever grew the best.

Apparently new terms are also confusing and do not have the same meaning by all the people using it. The newest example is something called "regenerative agriculture", but apparently it has like 10 different definitions by different people. I still have no idea what it means.

https://thecounter.org/regenerative-agriculture-racial-equity-climate-change-carbon-farming-environmental-issues/

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fsufs.2020.577723/full
« Last Edit: 2021-05-29, 08:20:59 AM by Andrew Barney »

ImGrimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2021-05-29, 03:06:12 PM »
We English speaking people throw acronyms around like crazy.
Germans are even worse. When you go to university, the first rule is to use words that nobody outside the university uses. German science is not about producing texts that are easy for the reader to understand, but about using certain scientific words that nobody understands straight away. Even students sometimes don't understand.
I learned genetics with an American book, despite the language it was easier to follow than German books. You need a dictionary for all new scientific words.  Apart from that, the point is to formulate as abstractly as possible. Believe me, English speakers are still far from that.