Author Topic: Black corn with black cobs.  (Read 526 times)

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 6b
Black corn with black cobs.
« on: 2021-02-08, 07:01:52 PM »
My love of plants with high levels of anthocyanin led me to drop several ongoing corn trials to grow Mountain Morado corn from Baker Creek. I followed a lead in the description to a Peruvian variety with even higher levels of anthocyanin, Maiz Morado. It has a much higher level because the cobs are not red or white, they're black and the cobs are used in preparing a fruity drink, Chicha Morado.

I haven't planted either variety yet but I hope to cross the two corns to develop a black cob corn that grows productively in my garden as I believe Maiz Morado alone will not be very productive in my garden.

Does anyone know of another black cob corn I might add to this mix?
I'm not interested in preserving heirlooms.
The best seed bank is the living seed bank which is growing every year in people's gardens.
Joseph Lofthouse

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
Re: Black corn with black cobs.
« Reply #1 on: 2021-02-08, 09:17:27 PM »
I don't know of another black corn like what you are describing, but i did grow it once probably over 10 years ago. It was a maiz morado corn with deep purple seeds and produced a very dark, nearly black cob from Peru. It was from the Maize Genetics COOP. http://maizecoop.cropsci.uiuc.edu/

It is indeed adapted to a south american growing season and is very tall maybe 8-10 ft tall or more. It is also a very late season corn. If you have a long season you might get a cob and some seeds, but you also might not. If possible it would be more than worth it to outcross to a shorter season corn for sure.

I have my own population of purple foliage corn with purple husks and dark purple cobs and some have purple seeds. It is more adapted for here in Colorado, but it might be what you are looking for. I am thinking of listing it on the Experimental Farm Network for anyone who wants to join me in a collaborative high anthocyanin corn line (or lines). Sounds like you may be interested. :)

My corn variety has deep purple cobs, husks, and stems. The corn husks can be boiled to create a dark purple / black water. It probably could be used for a maize morado drink.

I also have some new purple foliage corns i got from a professor at CSU who got them from ARS GRIN. I have very little seed of each of these, but i could split the seed with anyone who is experienced with growing corn who can grow them out for me and add them to the landrace mix / grex. I also have some old purple foliage pod corn i would like to grow out.

Let me know what you think?
« Last Edit: 2021-02-08, 09:22:08 PM by Andrew Barney »

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2021-02-08, 10:24:40 PM »
I have now added my purple corn landrace to the EFN Experimental Farm Network!

https://www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/project/33

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2021-02-09, 07:38:19 AM »
I have an ear of Black Andean corn in my collection (different from Maiz Morado, as that appears to be a lowland Peruvian corn, and mine is a mountain type). But I suspect that would be even LESS adapted to your growing climate. Plus it's going on 20 years old, so it's probably long dead (also it's my last intact Andean ear, so I am sort of loath to break it up)

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-02-09, 11:18:17 PM »
I once was fascinated by this corn. and kind of still am.
bought many cobs imported from mexico (or somewhere south of that) to make the purple corn drink
finally got enough cobs to have diversity (after several hundred of dollars)
and just then I spotted an adapted version for sale, pretty sure this is what Andrew Barney talks of
so I got a copy of it...
I have spent way to much on it so far and have yet to grow it.
but I have made the fantastic drink from the corn, and I am not sure why it is not more popular.
anyway,
woodsy, if you want the seeds I have, and you send me part of your grow out from them, I will send them to you.
but I do want pure seeds back and not a cross.
if you want a cross, I can easily send you enough to do that with and still keep most of what I have so I can still grow it out myself someday.
and I have lots of the super long day length seeds I got from the grocery store, but I expect they will be quite hard to work with. they are at least 10 years old but are stored very well.

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-02-10, 07:23:13 AM »
I once was fascinated by this corn. and kind of still am.
and just then I spotted an adapted version for sale, pretty sure this is what Andrew Barney talks of
so I got a copy of it...
woodsy, if you want the seeds I have, and you send me part of your grow out from them, I will send them to you.
but I do want pure seeds back and not a cross.
if you want a cross, I can easily send you enough to do that with and still keep most of what I have so I can still grow it out myself someday.

I would love to have just a few seeds, 5-10, to add to my project. I do not have any way to make a pure grow out but I can return some of the seeds from the best plants of my Joseph Lofthouse style project this fall. PM me if you've lost my address. BTW the volunteer Sochi tea plants are looking good but this second arctic blast with single digit temperatures will be a real test of their resistance to low temperatures. I'll let you know how they're looking in a few weeks.
The best seed bank is the living seed bank which is growing every year in people's gardens.
Joseph Lofthouse

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2021-05-23, 10:20:51 AM »
Viable Maiz Morado seeds

I couldn't find any seeds of Maiz Morado for sale but Amazon is offering 1 lb. packages of the black cob and purple-black seeds to make the high anthocyanin Peruvian drink, Chicha Morado.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074G5WB5N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I hoped to find the seeds on the cob to be viable and they are! I planted the seeds on 5/16 and they're up today, 5/23. I planted a lot in case there was poor germination and there are so many up that I've got some thinning ahead.

I planted it at the same time as Looney (120 days to dry on the stalk), a moonshiner corn that is productive on my poor, heavy soil and does well in hot, dry summers. I hope to get some purple seeds on the Looney cobs (purple is dominant over white) but if not I'll learn the time to tassel for planting next year.

And BTW, I used the cob and a few seeds to make Chicha Morado. It was tasty and with a little honey added it was delicious. I also tried adding honey, vodka, and ice cubes to make a unique mixed drink for hot summer evenings.
Joseph Lofthouse

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2021-06-03, 03:39:38 PM »
Not sure if you planted any of the seed I sent, but here is a copy of that PDF for anyone else that was interested.

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2021-06-03, 04:24:36 PM »
Not sure if you planted any of the seed I sent, but here is a copy of that PDF for anyone else that was interested.
Looney white moonshiner corn is the only non purple/blue/lavender/black I'm planting. It is the only variety that I will detassel. I planted it and Maiz Morado 15 days ago. I planted your corn, OC4, and 5 other varieties 5 days ago. In 5 more days I'll plant 5 more varieties and an additional 3 varieties in 15 days.

I will keep records of how well each variety does on my poor, heavy soil and the date they begin to tassel. I'll be saving seeds from each variety separately. I'll get back to you at harvest time.
Joseph Lofthouse