Author Topic: Thank you OSSI and forum contributors  (Read 535 times)

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
Thank you OSSI and forum contributors
« on: 2021-01-22, 05:35:35 PM »
While doing server maintenance and applying security patches, I had the opportunity to review the entire forum in the past couple of days. Wow!!! What a lot of good writing and photography. And wonderful diversity of thinking, climates, and breeding projects.

Thank you to everyone that is contributing to the forum, and thank you especially to the Open Source Seed Initiative for the ongoing financial and institutional support that keeps this site operational.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Re: Thank you OSSI and forum contributors
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-23, 10:37:53 AM »
A big thank you goes out to you also Joseph for all the work you have done setting this forum up
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #2 on: 2021-02-08, 01:26:32 PM »
A big thank you goes out to you also Joseph for all the work you have done setting this forum up

Yes. A big thank you here as well Joseph. You are a good friend and inspiring individual. Thank you f or using your enthusiasm to start this forum. Hopefully it will continue to grow and thrive.

I hope even the new members post updates on random things they are growing and random ideas about plant breeding even if they have never planted a vegetable or fruit in their life. We need new ideas and enthusiasm!

p.s. Joseph, I hope if you ever have time again to start writing articles again. I really enjoyed your old mother earth news articles. I would enjoy blogs and writeups from other plant breeders on the forum too! Please share your blogs!

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #3 on: 2021-02-08, 02:28:15 PM »
Joseph recently mentioned on Facebook that starting with a compilation of his articles he is heading towards a book given the time EFN freed up for him.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2021-02-09, 10:52:27 AM »
Thank you Experimental Farm Network!

I'm currently at 19,322 words. Aiming for about 25,000. That's about 5 more days of writing. Then the editing can begin. Oh, and finding suitable photos. Most of my photos were taken for blog posting, not for print...

I received an ISBN this morning!

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-02-09, 11:01:53 AM »
Shannon Brooks of Monticello College made a compilation of my Mother Earth News articles into a single pdf.

It's available at: http://garden.lofthouse.com/landrace-gardening-MEN.pdf

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2021-02-09, 11:57:18 AM »
About finding pictures: you want only own pictures, or you look for something specific?

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2021-02-09, 12:10:50 PM »
Some photos that I'd like to include, and know that I  don't have are:

A flock of landrace chickens.
A Warre beehive or apiary.
A combine harvesting wheat.
The moonscaped dirt under the California almond orchards.

I'll have a better idea regarding what other photos I'm missing in about 2 weeks.

I probably don't have suitable seed swap photos, or photos of people singing/dancing in the fields.

« Last Edit: 2021-02-09, 05:16:13 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2021-04-05, 01:47:46 PM »
The book project occupied my attention day and night since early February. It is currently being read by a second wave of beta-readers, therefore, I'm getting a slight break from writing. Good thing, since planting season is upon me.

I added a sign up form to my web site for notifying people when it's available for purchase. Notify Me