Author Topic: Miniature Glass Gem  (Read 299 times)

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
Miniature Glass Gem
« on: 2021-01-18, 04:04:15 PM »
Hi all,

Some time ago, I acquired some interesting (presumably) popcorn*. It is corn that while miniature, has the same "palette" of colors as Glass Gem has. After a little research it looks like it could INDEED be a form of glass gem based one one of the original breeders pictures (one picture by the OB shows a group of ears laid out in a ring, and one of them is indeed miniature. And since GG's parentage includes a lot of miniature popcorns, having a miniature version would not seem out of likelihood.) 

One thing I will still have to test is it's poppability. (I'd LOVE to be able to also test it's flavor, but given where a lot of the seed came from it may have been sprayed with fixatives, and is therefore not safe to eat.) As Joseph pointed out in a previous thread, "Official"  full size GG, while listed as a popcorn, doesn't actually pop very well. Maybe this does better.

*Actually TWO, since three ears of what I have is rice type kernels, as opposed to pearl, and I kept those separate. 

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
Re: Miniature Glass Gem
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-18, 11:39:13 PM »
Wayne Marshall in Buhl Idaho has grown vast quantities of glass gem corn, much of it being distributed by national and regional seed companies. He has put a lot of effort into selecting for better popping. I believe that Snake River Seed Cooperative sells Wayne's strain.

spacecase0

• View Profile
Re: Miniature Glass Gem
« Reply #2 on: 2021-02-09, 11:45:09 PM »
Wayne Marshall in Buhl Idaho has grown vast quantities of glass gem corn, much of it being distributed by national and regional seed companies. He has put a lot of effort into selecting for better popping. I believe that Snake River Seed Cooperative sells Wayne's strain.
I have been looking for Teosinte for over 15 years now, and they just claimed to have it and let me order it.
I am so happy. Thank you for the name of a seed company that shows up in no searches I have ever done.