Author Topic: Apple Seed viability?  (Read 411 times)

nathanp

• View Profile
    • Kenosha Potato Project - Facebook page
Apple Seed viability?
« on: 2021-01-16, 01:28:06 PM »
Hi,
I just ran across some apple seeds I saved a few years ago, but never tried planting.  Just wondering if anyone knows how long apple seeds remain viable.

I am going to put them in the freezer for about 6-8 weeks before I try germinating them.  Any suggestions?

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Apple Seed viability?
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-17, 07:20:38 AM »
Suggestion: try the fridge instead of the freezer for stratification, and keep the seeds moist in sand or charcoal. (the latter works against fungi)

And by the way, I got good success germinating apples by simply sowing them in autumn. Some apples don't need cold stratification to germinate, which may be due to the variety or to the storage conditions of the apples themselves.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-01-17, 08:06:31 AM »
In my experience if apple or pear seeds dry out they are dead. Or if not dead in a state that I am not skilled enough to wake them up from. Also no method I ever tried to sprout them worked but I never tired too hard because I discovered if they are saved inside an apple until late mid to late fall or purchased in an apple in fall and planted immediately they sprout fine. Actually I didn't discover that, someone told me, I don't remember who that was.

Now I just spread them on the ground without any prep, not even removing the sod and cover them with about 1/2 to full inch of soil or compost. Then I cover it with boards, rocks or what ever. Early the next spring because they sprout when it is still pretty cold I pull off the cover. Poof apple and pear seedlings all over the place.

Probably not much help to you cause like I said if a dried apple seed actually is still alive, I don't know how to sprout it.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #3 on: 2021-01-17, 09:10:22 AM »
They should be viable. Don't freeze them do cold moist stratify them in the fridge. Use a 10% bleach solution with a drop of free and clear dish soap as a surfactant for one minute first. An one minute H202 rinse is also good after the bleach solution. If they mold you can surface sterilize again until radicles emerge. Once radicles emerge you can plant them. Can't remember how long it takes but typically 30, 60, or even 90 days and the radicle emergence is what will tell you it has been long enough.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

nathanp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-01-17, 08:50:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.  This is helpful.  I'll rinse/wash and move them to the fridge with moist paper towels or maybe a little sand and charcoal.  They have been stored in sealed plastic bags, so perhaps that has kept them from fully drying out.  My best guess is they have been at room temperature for either four or five years.  I'll be attempting to germinate these as well as some other seeds from a few varieties I saved from apples this past fall. 

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #5 on: 2021-01-17, 09:48:35 PM »
Ive always just taken the seeds out of the apple and sown straight away, being autumn the young seedlings hold there leaves through that first winter.
Fresh seed tends to pop through about 30 days
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

nathanp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-03-14, 01:33:36 PM »
A bit surprisingly, I do have some germination on the old seeds, which I think were collected in either 2015 or 2016.  I had moved them from the freezer to the refrigerator, and added some water inside the plastic bags they were in.  They are in 1 gallon containers now, and will be going outside.