Author Topic: Our weather 2021  (Read 1187 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Re: Our weather 2021
« Reply #30 on: 2021-06-20, 12:21:40 AM »
Been going pretty steady for about 10 hours now, rain total so far about 100mm. From the looks of out there now it will be a bit longer before I can total it up.

What has been the longest time period you have experienced a storm system to last for
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2021-06-20, 03:45:37 AM »
What has been the longest time period you have experienced a storm system to last for
O goodness, I don't know. I guess easily 24 hours but that isn't necessarily constant for that full time but rather in waves. We can have periods of off and on that last for several days. A violent thunderstorm with wind, hail and the occasional tornado usually doesn't last more than an hour or even less. The storm might last longer but the violent part is generally brief. The TV talkers said this particular one was associated with a cold front but based on when it cleared off in the afternoon, I'd call it a slightly less hot front. It the old days cold front meant cold front.

I have always loved weather but I don't recognize it anymore. I can't get up, look at the sky, feel the air and have an idea of what the day will be like. It's like I moved to a different place without even having to pack.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #32 on: 2021-07-11, 09:38:57 AM »
Smoke season has well and truly set in here. Suspect it will last through August.

Wonder if it will increase fruit set on the tomatoes kind of like shade cloth in the heat.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2021-07-11, 10:03:05 AM »
Since the first jully  it was fallen a downpour each days.
June was more rainy than the normal but we are had a heat wave mid june.and may was more rainy and cold than the normal.
The rain is not the top for the fruit set of the squashs: the male pollen is too stiky.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-11, 10:14:50 AM by Adrian »

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #34 on: 2021-07-11, 10:41:24 AM »
Rain lately has been helping plants recover from all of these heat waves.

Most of the things that I plant aren't adapted to long periods of extreme heat.

We have been getting mostly downpours, which is better than nothing.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: 2021-07-14, 07:24:43 PM »
Winter is close to the point now where there's a bit more horse power in the sun, my tunnel house starts to get warm enough to sow tomatoes and peppers, trying Trinidad scorpion for the first time, dont like eating hot peppers, only growing it for seed for our website.  lots of rain due this weekend, the water table is only a meter below ground, so can see that getting higher again
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2021-07-17, 03:28:41 PM »
Its starting to look like some of NZ's ski fields may not see enough snow to open at all this winter, its only the ski fields that are at higher elevations that have seen snow, the highest being Mt Hutt has a 2m base.https://www.mthutt.co.nz/mountain/
Turning into a wet winter here with my water table up under a metre now, and rising.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #37 on: 2021-07-17, 04:05:39 PM »
A sunbeam made it through the smoke smuggered sky earlier and my wife exclaimed in delight.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #38 on: 2021-07-18, 02:25:59 PM »
We had haze here last week, which were told was from the smoke out west, up very high above us.  Hottest days of summer here, humid and topping 80F several days in a row. 27C and humidex yesterday went to 33C.   The peas are suffering a bit but I've been dousing their roots with cold well water every morning so they are still okay.  The tomatoes have set plenty of fruit for our family needs for the winter, so I don't really care if the set is a bit spotty due to the greenhouse heat, high UV, and the plagues of this weather :  mites, mildew.  So far a bit of extra work and minor losses but nothing major. 
Garlic scapes emerged in late June, a full week earlier than I've ever seen before.  So that crop will be early.  This is what we can expect I guess, in a year with very little sea ice - lowest in 50 years.
Couple of wheats I planted in April due to the early thaw, are in flower now.   Oats I planted in mid May are also out of the boot stage.  Barley didn't go in until June, and is in boot stage already. 
Our temperatures will dip back down into the 60's F/ teens C,  later this week.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: 2021-07-18, 04:12:53 PM »
Haven't had 90F temperatures in awhile. Pretty nice.

Of course some days are still in the 78F - 86 ranges for the highs. Most days are topping out at 76F.

Good bit of rain every few days has been nice.

Haven't noticed any mildew on the squash yet.

The high humidity and heat mixed with sudden downpours the past month or so appear to have welcomed in blight for the tomato plants. Quite early for this to happen, but understandable with how the weather had been. Main crop of tomatoes died earlier on anyways I suppose.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2021-07-20, 08:33:12 AM »
I don't know how to describe our July so far. Terms like normal or typical just don't seem to apply anymore so comparing to that isn't really helpful. I'll just say it's different than it was from my earlier memories. Barely making it past 30 C the whole month and quite wet. A couple periods of light rain for a day or more at a time and lots of cloudiness. Some brief periods of solid sunshine accompanied by intense and uncomfortable humidity. There were hotter days back in March, April and May than now.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-20, 08:36:04 AM by reed »

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: 2021-07-20, 08:59:14 AM »
I don't know how to describe our July so far. Terms like normal or typical just don't seem to apply anymore so comparing to that isn't really helpful. I'll just say it's different than it was from my earlier memories. Barely making it past 30 C the whole month and quite wet. A couple periods of light rain for a day or more at a time and lots of cloudiness. Some brief periods of solid sunshine accompanied by intense and uncomfortable humidity. There were hotter days back in March, April and May than now.

Your weather and everything seems pretty much the same as mine has been this year.

Suppose I live in Pennsylvania, which is pretty close to your state.

Past few years have been odd, this year has been the strangest.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: 2021-07-20, 08:04:36 PM »
Heard a bit of crackling on the roof during this lovely thunderstorm. Went outside just to make sure - there is hail blowing around from the wind.

Suppose I will check on the tomatoes and squash, beans tomorrow.

The hail only lasted a few minutes, it switched to just rain afterwards.

Pretty surprising to see this much hail in 70F weather in July. When it does hail, it's usually small amounts - not buckets.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-20, 08:07:03 PM by Garrett Schantz »

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2021-07-21, 01:43:52 AM »
It remains very pleasantly cool here. A thin grey blanket of Oregon has settled over the Ohio Valley.  Can't smell it as was the cases with Tennessee, Alberta and other places in recent years but can most definitely see it. I guess maybe it's helping keep the temps down a little. Even the stars look a little dull this morning.

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 07:53:04 PM »
Damned if I'll turn my heat on in July so I'm wearing fuzzy socks and a jacket around the house. We're at roughly 9C at night for the past several days and into the forecastable future, and 17-19C highs during the day. Thunderstorms are wandering around the plateau scaring the dogs; they pass within hearing or visual distance once or twice a day and dump some rain. We don't have smoke from down south but it hasn't been sunny in several days. I'm considering switching to gumboots when I go to the animals; my gardens all have great water management so I'm lucky there.

My corn is confused and I have never seen so many slugs, but this is exactly the weather I want a tomato to ripen in out in that field. If this keeps up anything that sets fruit and ripens it in the cool is precisely what I want.

I remain grateful to my climate for the harsh winters here, pretty sure blights and mildews just cannot survive the -40s. The vegetative growth is _happy_ where the slugs leave it alone.