Author Topic: Our weather 2021  (Read 1188 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
Re: Our weather 2021
« Reply #15 on: 2021-05-23, 02:45:33 PM »
Seems each year is getting more dry, so far this year we have had only 65mm of rain, but the computer models are picking a change to some wet weather as we enter winter. The ground water has managed to hang in only just with about 20cm left at the foot valve, once our local river starts to flow again it takes two weeks for the water table to full.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #16 on: 2021-05-23, 03:05:57 PM »
We're having the traditional 24th of may long weekend weather - campers' special as they rush to the parks on opening day every year.  From 20 C with blackflies yesterday, wind gusting over 70 kph and 14 C today's high will drop to 1 C overnight with 25mm rain mixed with snow, up to 2 cm snow accumulating in higher terrain, tomorrow's high just 4C and low of -1C tomorrow night.  After that we can get back to May weather!   It has been dry, so the precip is welcome and will make for better planting conditions.

William_Frederickson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2021-06-06, 03:48:06 AM »
First time saying this but Texas has been getting too much water.

The amount of water is stifling the growth of my Okra, Tomato, and Habanero plants.

The Thai Chili Peppers and the corn seem to be doing well at least.

At least after this season, any vegetables grown by the Okra seeds will be resilient to water logging at least.

Hopefully this summer is more dry so my plants can catch up in the growing season.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
« Reply #18 on: 2021-06-06, 11:14:36 AM »
I don't usually comment on the weather, but I'm still processing last weeks roller-coaster. Late May was hot - 30C/90F or close to it - followed by four days of sub 10C/50F with very close to 0C/32F temperatures at night. Or less. We had severe frost damage on most tender things that were planted, which was most of them, since it had been 30C just a few days before the traditional 24th of May last-frost date. In 25 years of gardening I don't think I've previously seen a hard frost on May 28th.

Amazingly, a lot of things are recovering. We've lost some tomatoes and peppers, but I had replacements for most of them and I just left a lot of them because I think they will outgrow the damage faster than new transplants will settle in. Potatoes got tip burn, but are rapidly outgrowing it. Ninety percent mortality in the cucurbits except the watermelons which did fine. Easy replant. LOTS of damage in the beans, but again, many of them are going to recover and outgrow the problems. Still, it was amusing yet exasperating to see I'm going to have to replant quite a few, mostly LOCAL, northern North American native varieties, while Anseloni's Bologna (uh, from Bologna in Italy; yes) was hardly touched.

I'm going to take some ribbon and mark the best survivors in a couple of days for seed saving. One of the few cucurbits to survive was one of the f2 pepo/argyrosperma crosses. There's a good Tatume as well, one of the few other zukes to survive. I may try to do a cross between those two specifically.

I also note that we've been leaving biennials in place to go to seed and just planting around them, and the things that had substantial shelter from those hardier plants did significantly better than those in more exposed spots. One more reason to keep doing it, even if I worry about competition for water and nutrients.

Hadn't planted the sweet potatoes, thank goodness, although they are in now.

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #19 on: 2021-06-06, 11:28:13 AM »
No frost damage here - just cold damage. Some tomato leaves turned black due to how low it got some nights. Kept fluctuating between extreme highs and lows. Was also cloudy. Plus a good bit of rain.

Immediately went to very hot after this. Most tomatoes couldn't take it and died from sunscald along with the cold damage - I even tried planting some of them a bit later than usual to see if later plants would hold on. Bit too hot now though. Even local greenhouse tomatoes here were damaged. Hardening plants off doesn't work very well when it stays cloudy and dark for weeks...

Oh yeah, pretty sure some of my tomato plants got septoria due to these conditions - bit early for that... Wonderful.

I pushed my beans off a bit late because of the weather - same with cucumbers and squash. Most of the beans are just now beginning to germinate.

Not much rain right now either.

I just might try planting after Memorial Day next year. Usually weird temperatures occur during that week / weekend. This extreme heat is really annoying. May was pretty much a Summer month this year towards the middle - end.

I have been reading about how California, Utah and some others are experiencing a huge drought - or are just coming into droughts. Seems like a bad year...

Ground cherries and other Physalis species don't seem to care about any of this.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
« Reply #20 on: 2021-06-06, 12:15:10 PM »
It has been extremely dry here. I've been watering, watering, watering and I think that has helped a lot in terms of things recovering. It unfortunately means I've been doing little else and I'm going to be sure to be sitting down when we open the next water bill...

Looks like a bad/extreme year all over.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #21 on: 2021-06-06, 01:24:15 PM »
Definitely one extreme after another here.  We tied 1964 for 4th dryest may on record.   It has been unseasonably hot all this week, got to 24C one day (july weather for us), which would make you think it's time to go for it.. now another frost advisory issued for tonight, a high of 25C coming tuesday, then dropping below seasonal for the rest of the week with highs around the 10C mark and lows 4-6C.  This is no fun even for greenhouse tomatoes...  Have had some blossoms drop due to the heat as well.    I didn't lose anything last frost, but now the strawberries are in flower (and blueberries too, and the wild fruit trees) so this could be more of a setback for the area generally.  Just yesterday I was at my friend's farm and we replanted tomatoes she lost after the frosty 24th of may.  She was telling me about another friend who does a CSA and has already planted squash in the ground!  Yes it's been really warm but that can always change.. every two days I guess.  I was afraid I might be cooking the peas and sunflowers just planted and under row cover.  Hope they can take the alternating heat and cold.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #22 on: 2021-06-06, 03:32:11 PM »
Late frost here, May's rain all came at once. Alternating hot and cold.

Tomatoes are recovering mostly.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2021-06-06, 05:03:03 PM »
Same kind of weird weather stuff here. We had some days around 30 C back in March and I planted some corn and cowpeas just for kicks. 90% didn't sprout, 90% of what did sprout froze or rotted off in following cold wet spells. Surprisingly half a dozen cowpea plants and two corn plants survived and were awarded places of honor and are now growing nicely.

More recently we had a stretch of 30 C plus and dry then it switched to highs around 10 C or a little more and damp. Now it's switched back to 30 C but very wet this time. One minute it is raining and feels nice, then the sun comes out and your instantly in a sauna.

« Last Edit: 2021-06-06, 05:23:27 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2021-06-18, 03:57:09 PM »
Coming up to the shortest daylight hours and winter has turned wet-ish, had 138mm a week back which was double the amount we had had for the year to date, another 70-80mm due this weekend, water table is 70% full and we now have green grass again. Nothing happening in the garden apart from harvesting root crops for meals. All the root crop varieties can now stay in the soil over winter, go back 10 years and beetroot had to be pulled and stored because of frost damage, not nowadays.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial shingle

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2021-06-18, 11:41:49 PM »
We are in the midst of a terrific thunderstorm. I mean terrific in a good way. It's a kind I haven't seen in a least two, maybe three decades. Not much wind but lots of rain, thunder and lightening. It's been going on for hours and hours and not diminished at all. My garden nor anything else needs this much water and don't know what I'll find when the sun comes up. It's an odd time of year from when this type of storm use to happen but I love weather so I'll take it just for the nostalgia. 

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2021-06-19, 01:26:33 AM »
We are in the midst of a terrific thunderstorm. I mean terrific in a good way. It's a kind I haven't seen in a least two, maybe three decades. Not much wind but lots of rain, thunder and lightening.
Sounds amazing, how many hours did it end up lasting

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2021-06-19, 06:50:04 AM »
Been going pretty steady for about 10 hours now, rain total so far about 100mm. From the looks of out there now it will be a bit longer before I can total it up.

When I woke back up about daylight it looked like it was still dark but there was a lull in the rain so I went out to check on things but before I made my rounds it started again. Was a little more wind than I thought, lots of little sticks down in the yard. Some kind of weird little gust much have happened cause part of my potato patch is flattened but the corn next door is fine.

Rain is harder now than last night but the thunder is farther away. It's the kind that never seems to stop. I don't know what causes that. Part of it is echoes I guess. Or maybe multiple lightening happening in quick succession, to far away to see but the thunder kind of blends together.  Whatever the cause, it's way cool and seems like ages since I've heard it. If I close my eyes it puts me to sleep.

« Last Edit: 2021-06-19, 06:51:51 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2021-06-19, 01:38:52 PM »
Fasinating :) An electrical storm here never lasts more than a hour.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #29 on: 2021-06-19, 03:21:16 PM »
Derecho?
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days