Author Topic: Ontario Gold Watermelon  (Read 1526 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario Gold Watermelon
« Reply #15 on: 2020-08-12, 07:37:39 AM »
I have  been negligent on documenting my watermelons, just growing and eating them but I do have some old pictures. I had posted these over on HG but the disappeared when I killed my Photobucket account.  The first one is like those that have the thick white part that still just tastes like the rest. 

These are all from your seeds and are the foundation of what I have now. Can't seem to find pictures of those with yellow/orange skins. Some of them have dark stripes or spots and some the reverse of that, yellow with white stripes. All kinds of weird things show up, only thing constant is the great flavor.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
« Reply #16 on: 2020-08-12, 08:46:15 AM »
Nice! That orange fleshed one looks like it's out of the "improved Orangeglo" project that we've had to put on hold because 2 watermelon projects is probably 2 too many in a household with incipient diabetes. (Orangeglo x Sweet Siberian). By improved, I mean we wanted it smaller and willing to grow here in Canada.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #17 on: 2020-08-23, 04:45:31 PM »
Okay, after a brief pause, we had a flurry of watermelon picking and even a little eating. Unfortunately I am NOT impressed by the quality thus far. We had trouble with a couple that went bad due to damage to the rind. I did keep seed from those but it's hard to assess what they were like. Other than kinda small.

Here's the next one up that we are actually eating. It rates a 6.0 to 6.5 which is a good point lower than what I usually expect to plant seed from. But it's the only large early melon, so it may be in regardless. There was one, even larger and earlier one, but we did not even record it or save seeds after agreeing that it rated a 4 or 5 - supermarket quality, in other words.

Edit: Meant to mention, 2.613 kilos, or about 5.75 pounds.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-23, 04:47:12 PM by Ferdzy »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #18 on: 2020-08-27, 10:05:04 AM »
Not going to post another picture; the melons are starting to look pretty consistent. We've been composting A LOT as not being up to standard, which is fairly distressing, but we have seeds from 8 of them saved at this point, and I would hope another 4 to 6 to come.

Problems are less that we didn't get the size or the number of melons hoped for, and more that we are just not that impressed by flavour this year... which is a bummer.

Putting out another call for Bill. Bill! Are you there? Are you okay (I worry this year)? Did you grow any of these, and if so, how did they do for you?

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2020-12-06, 04:06:41 PM »
Whereabouts in Ontario? I'm just by the border, and have been working with watermelon for a few years.

Sadly, my 2020 season was a total disaster. Spider mites got into my "nursery", and wreaked havoc on my seedlings, which scrapped the whole harvest. I'll be more vigilant this winter.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #20 on: 2020-12-06, 05:44:07 PM »
Dominic, I'm in Meaford. You say you're by the border... where? LOL. Ontario has a lot of border.

Sorry about your year. I had to scrap a year when a stray seed of something else got into my watermelons and would have contaminated them. Perhaps interstingly, but still. So maddening.

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2020-12-06, 07:31:23 PM »
Dominic, I'm in Meaford. You say you're by the border... where? LOL. Ontario has a lot of border.

Sorry about your year. I had to scrap a year when a stray seed of something else got into my watermelons and would have contaminated them. Perhaps interstingly, but still. So maddening.

On the Québec side, close to Ottawa.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #22 on: 2020-12-06, 08:06:17 PM »
Oh goodness, I was picturing Windsor.

What are your watermelons like?

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #23 on: 2021-02-09, 04:07:52 PM »
A lot have the small black seeds like you mentioned, do you think that might go along with the great flavor?

Hate to side-topic this thread. Feel free to put this topic back on track after my post.

Reed, i can't find my original post where i mentioned the small black seeds, but i think it was along the lines of "I have noticed that the really good ones in my domestic landrace (and the general population in general) are skewed toward small black seeds despite much diversity put in."

I am working on re-doing the watermelon genetics portion on my website and just learned some new things about watermelon seed genetics. When it comes to watermelon seed size, seed size is controlled digenically: medium sized seed is dominant over both short and long. Smooth black seeds are also dominant over any other color, so it makes sense that in any watermelon landrace the trend would be toward medium smooth black seeds.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #24 on: 2021-05-27, 11:20:09 AM »
Just resurrecting this thread to comment that I have direct-seeded the watermelons for this project about a week ago, and they seem to be about half up after some fluctuating temperatures including up over 30°C (about 90°F). Next 4 days are going to be cool though, with night time temps down to 5°C.

I have also sent seeds off to some other seed growers for feedback from them on what they think of it.

I'd love to hear back from somebody at OSSI as to what is happening with the seed I sent last year.