Author Topic: Coronavirus altering your gardening plans?  (Read 2787 times)

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
Re: Coronavirus altering your gardening plans?
« Reply #30 on: 2020-04-14, 01:40:00 AM »
probably down to the last 30-40 melons ferdsy. i'm a bit over processing produce. I f i grow it, I'm the one who has to do the kitchen work, and ive cooked myself stupid for the last month. maybe i can get around to cleaning the cherry tomato goop off the dehydrator and put a batch on. did make a couple of litres of melon icecream, but not impressed.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
Re: Coronavirus altering your gardening plans?
« Reply #31 on: 2020-04-22, 08:08:28 PM »
I haven't changed my plans much, since I was pretty focused on growing as many staples as possible.
It helped me make tomato decisions though, just start lots of seedlings and don't worry about where to put the extras, someone will take them.   I picked a group of most rugged OP's that are fairly guaranteed to produce no matter the conditions, including a couple that needed to be grown to refresh seed.  And growing out some early generations of a couple of lines I expect to be productive and tolerant, whatever the fruit are like.  As well as some faves of the determinates from last year.  And I started a load of micro tomatoes to spread around the neighborhood - something anyone can grow even if they don't have a greenhouse.
The one reason I never got into wild tomato relatives, our space is too limited to waste any of it on something you can't eat.  I grew a pimpinellifolium once - it was inedible to me, so that really damped my interest in other cousins.  Anything from the halfbreds will have some food value - at least some of them will be good to eat fresh,  and even the losers can be blended up to make muffins (the tomato last resort, if they're not even good for sauce...)
Another thing I'll be sure to do this year is mind my seed crops.   I have a couple of things bolting now in the greenhouse - the leftovers of what I ate in the winter, yu choy and arugula, could have had michihili too but I need the yu choy more.   Seeds of my michihili crosses just got harvested today and drying down.
Ironically, this is the first year in many that I actually ordered seeds, instead of making do with what I had swapped or grown.  Now there's a shortage or it's hard to get seeds, but I was lucky to order early and got what I asked for.   So I'm stoked to have a few new things that I'll be really hoping to set up for seed production next year (carrots, celeriac if it works, etc)  Nothing in ground yet, we are still mostly snow covered (later than normal, for sure).