Author Topic: EFAO Research Library  (Read 827 times)

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: CDN 5/6; USA 4/5
EFAO Research Library
« on: 2020-02-16, 08:50:30 AM »
I often attend local Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario (EFAO) events, but I didn't realize until a recent email from them that they have quite a nice little research library building up. I see there are some topics of interest to users of this forum, so here's a link.

https://efao.ca/research-library/

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: EFAO Research Library
« Reply #1 on: 2020-02-16, 07:19:33 PM »
Jennifer,

Thank you for that link.  There are lots of articles that interest me.

Diane
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #2 on: 2020-02-17, 06:00:33 AM »
You're welcome, Diane! Me too. Especially the ones about sweet potatoes. *gnashes teeth* If only I could get some seeds!

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-02-17, 09:58:56 PM »
I haven't even had a flower yet.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #4 on: 2020-02-18, 06:23:44 AM »
Oh, that's pretty discouraging. We're only growing 4 types, and of those only Georgia Jet and Toka Toka have flowered occasionally until last year, when the only orange one we are growing - no idea; bought it at the grocery store - had ONE plant with a number of flowers. Of course, GJ and TT decided to take the year off. I've saved a cutting from that one plant and am overwintering it on the kitchen windowsill, since I suspect it may be a mutation. Seeing as how determinedly the rest were not flowering.

I keep telling myself I'm giving up on sweet potatoes but plainly the hope is still alive.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-02-18, 02:17:40 PM »
Wow with 59 individual plots and keeping all those records she really put some work into it. I'd like to do that sometime but it would take all my space. Sounds like it started with Ottawagardener from the HG forum. She has or had a blog about it. I bet the 1.8% that made lots of seed are self compatible.

I only grew it once but GJ didn't flower for me, maybe I should give it another try. My seeds I traded from Sweden also didn't flower, I think one wanted too but a rabbit got it. I didn't keep a clone cause it didn't make any reasonable sized roots.

In any case if they are growing and seeding in Ontario then it's pretty settled they can adapt to more northern areas.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-18, 02:20:47 PM by reed »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
    • Seasonal Ontario Food
« Reply #6 on: 2020-02-18, 05:13:14 PM »
There's actually a fairly large sweet potato farming production here in Ontario We are not that far north - Toronto is about on a line with Rome, for instance - and there is an area of southwestern Ontario known as the Carolinian zone. It has trees and other plants more typical of the Carolinas, thanks to the moderating effect on the climate by the great lakes that surround it on three sides.

I'm out of that zone, but I too am in an area modified by the great lakes. Ottawagarener on the other hand, is in a much cooler area.

Georgia Jet is by far the most productive sweet potato I've grown here. I understand that the American version of Georgia Jet has mutated, and is not nearly as good. It normally flowers moderately profusely for me, the trouble is getting anything else to flower. Usually.