Author Topic: Let's Talk Soils!  (Read 4632 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Soils!
« Reply #45 on: 2019-12-15, 03:32:34 PM »
A very long time ago tobacco plants were grown in beds. Big heaps of brush were piled up and burned, the ashes raked down and the seeds sown under canvas. We always reserved a corner for tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, every thing was started that way and at the same time. Then we just pulled the starts up to set out, it worked fine. I did the same thing for a long time minus the burning and tobacco. I switched to containers such as flower pots cause they are easier to handle and fit easily in my cold frames. Plus now I only grow a few more than I actually need, I might put just ten of one kind spaced in a medium sized pot.  I make my own non-sterile starting mix.

A well prepared in the ground bed works just as well as long as it is loose enough that they pull easily. I pull and replant immediately and generally do it in late afternoon or evening. If it is dry I did a deep hole and fill with water, maybe a couple of times till it slows down on soaking in. Then I back fill with dry dirt and make a smaller hole to set the plant, add just a little more water, and finish with more dry dirt. Tomatoes are on their own water wise after that but they may get some mulch later on.

Anyway "pulled" plants in my experience do as well or better than those grown in little cells or small cups. I think it might be because they actually have a few less roots and certainly less deformed roots so it's easier to just grow new ones and take off. 

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #46 on: 2020-03-12, 09:03:37 PM »
http://www.montanagrow.com/

So I went in one of the local feed stores today to price out their organic fertilizers and I saw containers of this silica stuff for sale. Huh I said. The packages said it improves soil structure. Silica...

I didn't buy any, but it made me curious. The smallest size package was a single pound of the material. Thought about it for a little test. OMRI listed it said.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-12, 09:36:45 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: 2020-04-13, 07:10:58 PM »
A couple years ago I started dry gardening. Most of my soil is sand and rock, so I covered it over with a good six inches of wood chips and then did the same the following spring.

This spring I was digging out a section, I pulled back a section of the woodchips and the soil underneath was actually soil for about three inches. Then it went back to being sand. A very distinct visual difference. So apx two years with wood chips over the top = 3 inches of good soil.