Author Topic: Let's build the best plant breeding forum on the Internet.  (Read 9414 times)

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
Re: Let's build the best plant breeding forum on the Internet.
« Reply #75 on: 2021-02-08, 08:38:54 PM »
Seems to be quite a few members now. Although a lot of them have no replies or comments apparently.

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: 2021-02-08, 11:51:27 PM »
6+ posts / day is not bad !

William_Frederickson

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2021-05-12, 06:59:01 AM »
Personally, I have posted not much because I don't any big projects going on and having other things going on in my life.

The only real "breeding" project I have, is Sweet Corn and Okra saved from last years plant.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #78 on: 2021-05-12, 07:33:32 AM »
Personally, I have posted not much because I don't any big projects going on and having other things going on in my life.

The only real "breeding" project I have, is Sweet Corn and Okra saved from last years plant.

That's okay. I think most who don't post are in similar situations and think similarly. Thanks for posting!

The downside is that those of us who post regularly sometimes feel like we are carrying the forum and if we stop posting the forum will die. Of course this isn't true, but it would be nice to hear from a wider audience and even beginners despite whether they feel they have anything to contribute.

I'm also disappointed that almost none of the people who have actually pledged OSSI varieties post here at all.

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: 2021-05-12, 01:19:43 PM »
That's okay. I think most who don't post are in similar situations and think similarly. Thanks for posting!

The downside is that those of us who post regularly sometimes feel like we are carrying the forum and if we stop posting the forum will die. Of course this isn't true, but it would be nice to hear from a wider audience and even beginners despite whether they feel they have anything to contribute.

I'm also disappointed that almost none of the people who have actually pledged OSSI varieties post here at all.

Speaking as a newbie (and one who is likely to remain so). I usually feel that, if I don't really have anything to say, there is little point in saying it.  What I have that passes for projects are more or less often somewhere between simple seed selection (I know Joseph said that counts as breeding, but it isn't nearly as interesting as the cutting edge sci stuff some of the people here are doing) and errant pipe dreams (things I would love to do, but lack the skills, space or resources to do). I feel I know very little, and so should stay quiet while my wiser betters speak.

There is also the fact that most of the projects I AM working on I know are probably not of interest to anyone but myself.  My experiences on the EFNS have taught me the hard way that most people here have deeper goals than "This cross might be interesting".  Against trying to adapt crops to new climates, improve diseases resistance, up nutritional value, up productivity or anything else that ultimately boils down to making more or better food, things like my trying to make a better tasting edamame by breeding for the wrinkled gene in soybeans seem a little silly, and my breeding miniature ornamental flour corn just because I think it would be neat seems downright ridiculous.

Add on the fact that 99.9% of any projects I will attempt will fail utterly due to wheather, or animal damage, or any of a hundred other reasons, and it always seems better to keep quiet. 

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: 2021-05-12, 01:50:50 PM »
Speaking as a newbie (and one who is likely to remain so). I usually feel that, if I don't really have anything to say, there is little point in saying it.  What I have that passes for projects are more or less often somewhere between simple seed selection (I know Joseph said that counts as breeding, but it isn't nearly as interesting as the cutting edge sci stuff some of the people here are doing) and errant pipe dreams (things I would love to do, but lack the skills, space or resources to do). I feel I know very little, and so should stay quiet while my wiser betters speak.

There is also the fact that most of the projects I AM working on I know are probably not of interest to anyone but myself.  My experiences on the EFNS have taught me the hard way that most people here have deeper goals than "This cross might be interesting".  Against trying to adapt crops to new climates, improve diseases resistance, up nutritional value, up productivity or anything else that ultimately boils down to making more or better food, things like my trying to make a better tasting edamame by breeding for the wrinkled gene in soybeans seem a little silly, and my breeding miniature ornamental flour corn just because I think it would be neat seems downright ridiculous.

Add on the fact that 99.9% of any projects I will attempt will fail utterly due to wheather, or animal damage, or any of a hundred other reasons, and it always seems better to keep quiet.

Yeah, I have a bunch of things that I don't feel are worth posting here. I moved a bunch of Rumex obtusifolius, one apparent R. crispus into a patch in the woods - eventually introducing other Rumex species as they all hybridize easily. I don't have any actual goals with that "project" though. Also trying to improve litchi tomatoes a bit. I'm also growing a bunch of melons(Cucumis melo) this year in order to create hybrids - no real goal with those either. Same thing with cucumbers. Cultivating some wild plants as well.

You could mention some of the things that you are working on in order to see if others here are interested in them.

Better tasting food sounds nice.
« Last Edit: 2021-05-12, 01:52:49 PM by Garrett Schantz »

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: 2021-05-12, 02:06:21 PM »
Yeah, I have a bunch of things that I don't feel are worth posting here. I moved a bunch of Rumex obtusifolius, one apparent R. crispus into a patch in the woods - eventually introducing other Rumex species as they all hybridize easily. I don't have any actual goals with that "project" though. Also trying to improve litchi tomatoes a bit. I'm also growing a bunch of melons(Cucumis melo) this year in order to create hybrids - no real goal with those either. Same thing with cucumbers. Cultivating some wild plants as well.

You could mention some of the things that you are working on in order to see if others here are interested in them.

Well, I already mentioned  my grow out of wax podded cowpeas (and the hopeful retention of the trait). As that seems to come with very juicy pods, I suppose it could eventually become an edible podded cow pea line for either cooking ([basically a non long long bean), or eating raw like a snap bean (I know from previous experiments that there are cow peas with sweet tasting green pods)

The winkled soy project is pretty self explanatory.  It's just in abatement while I try and find more wrinkled soybeans (I REALLY wish I knew if someone else had determined if soybeans had the same wrinkled seed trait as peas, so I had some idea if I was on the right track.)

The miniature corn is more of a complex plan, as I have minatures of several of the kinds of corn. I just only want to do one at a time to keep them from getting cross contaminated (plus, I don't have the space to do all of them at once). So flour this year, one or the other of the dents the next, and maybe the sweet the year after.

I'm also working on a sort of breed back on grass peas (trying to get colored flowers back, at the cost of edibility of seed)

Next year I may do a grow out of some primitive peas I got from India to try and increase their numbers.

I'm growing some wild soybeans this year, but that is just for fun. Ditto the I don't knows of which I have two (one some sort of luffa with unusually tiny seeds, and a legume that, based on seed shape, may be some sort of Crotalaria)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #82 on: 2021-05-12, 03:26:51 PM »

Next year I may do a grow out of some primitive peas I got from India to try and increase their numbers.

Do you know what species? I'm growing out some pure Pisum humile and P. elatius along with one domestic from India that im hoping have spotted / striped pods.

I'm also growing out an F2 Pisum elatius hybrid with domestic 'Alaska' pea.

I thought about starting a pea thread for this year,  but I never did.

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: 2021-05-12, 03:41:20 PM »
Do you know what species? I'm growing out some pure Pisum humile and P. elatius along with one domestic from India that im hoping have spotted / striped pods.

I'm also growing out an F2 Pisum elatius hybrid with domestic 'Alaska' pea.

I thought about starting a pea thread for this year,  but I never did.

Not a clue (I picked them out of some bags of Indian Lentils)

All I know is that they are the "old peas" that I used to find all the time in lentil bags when I was in college.

They are differentiated by clearly having at least 3 seed traits no longer common in modern peas

-They have marmorated seed coats
- They are extremely small both in terms of seed size (about half of a normal pea) and the plant (they also are extremely fast growing, based on the last time I grew them back them, they went seed to seed in about 45-60 days.)
- They show EXTREME expression of the "caterpillar" or "chenille" trait, which is basically the pea equivalent of the cowpea's "crowder" trait. The seeds are so pushed up against each other they are basically cylinders (in fact, I didn't originally recognize them as peas the first time). This trait is not always visually easy to keep up (you need good pollination that gets every ovary for it to happen) but I assume it will stay*

I MAY have an elatius or something this year. One of my unknowns was a pea like seed that has an odd, bumpy skin. It MIGHT be some sort of pea (or some sort of vetch, hard to tell).

I also have one seed left of the ORIGINAL peas from college, but as that was 20 years ago I sort of have to assume that seed is long since dead. 

*The last time, the peas got mixed with some similar round peas and I never really got the two separated again, so I can't tell whether that trait passes easily.     

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: 2021-05-12, 06:10:09 PM »
I am a growing bunch of peas this year, over 6 varieties.

Tasty Yellow Pod Pea, Golden Sweet Pea, Desiree Dwarf Blauwschokkers.

Notable green peas that I planted: Alaska(Early / Wilt Resistant), Early Perfection(Early / Drought Tolerant), Green Arrow(Resistant to Powderly Mildew / Fusarium Wilt), Wando(Resistant to heat / drought).

Growing bunch of others as well.

Some had small, round speckled peas - others were small / tan - others large, wrinkled. Some had noted mildew resistance / or heat resistance.

I didn't label these, if I notice anything special when growing the peas, I will save them.

I have a bunch of pollinators, humid / foggy location. I get bean crosses almost every year. Might happen with the peas too.

Triple Treat pea - mentioned in another thread looks interesting.

Pea thread would be fun.

The wax cow peas sound nice too.

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: 2021-05-12, 10:44:09 PM »

The winkled soy project is pretty self explanatory.  It's just in abatement while I try and find more wrinkled soybeans (I REALLY wish I knew if someone else had determined if soybeans had the same wrinkled seed trait as peas, so I had some idea if I was on the right track.)

What about:

"A new gene that controls seed coat wrinkling in soybean" https://pubag.nal.usda.gov/download/57457/PDF 
PI 87623 with single recessive wri gene https://pubag.nal.usda.gov/download/57457/PDF0

"Four Genes Affecting Seed Traits inSoybeans Map to Linkage Group F"
PI 548285 whith single recessive shr gene https://npgstest2.agron.iastate.edu/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1443221

Jeremy Weiss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: 2021-05-13, 07:19:56 AM »
I took a look. The first article seems to be covering a gene that controls wrinkling in the seed coat under certain circumstances. That's different. But the second may be of use. 

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: 2021-05-13, 07:41:47 AM »
Also trying to improve litchi tomatoes a bit.
What is your goals here ?

Just came across some that seems interesting on deaflora catalogus:
https://deaflora.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Solanum+sissymbriifolium

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: 2021-05-13, 11:10:18 AM »
What is your goals here ?

Just came across some that seems interesting on deaflora catalogus:
https://deaflora.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Solanum+sissymbriifolium

Probably larger, sweeter fruits. Earlier maturity would be nice as well. I have a type from bakercreek and Gigante. Comparing them this year.