Author Topic: True Garlic Seed (TGS)  (Read 1619 times)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
Re: True Garlic Seed (TGS)
« Reply #15 on: 2021-06-09, 05:18:00 PM »
I wonder how much germination issues with TGS as they stand now stems from variability in seed coat dormancy.

In wild peas for example the seed coat is thicker with more chemicals that make germination difficult in the first year. I suspect an evolutionary survival trait to keep all the seeds from germinating in a bad year. In hybrid peas between wild and domestic these traits start segregating very differently. I suspect something similar with TGS might be happening.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to pre-sprout TGS like one would for radish sprouts to find the ones that germinate quickly without nicking the seed coat. If successful the other seeds could be planted in their own spot as backup seed and might germinate in subsequent years.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
« Reply #16 on: 2021-06-09, 09:59:19 PM »
When I was growing garlic seeds, I noticed that if I planted fresh seed, that some would germinate immediately. As a domestication project, it makes a lot of sense to select for populations that don't have seed dormancy.

My sweet potato population was selected for seeds that sprouted immediately when planted. No special seed treatments. No scarification. I want my crops to sprout when planted.

I selected against "hard seeds" in tepary beans, and watermelon. Selecting against hard seeds is one of the easier selection projects that I have done. It happens very early in the life cycle, and thus I don't have to devote a lot of time or space to it.

I get successive flushes of germination in some of the wild tomatoes. One year, I inadvertently selected against a yellow current tomato, because it's seedlings took two weeks longer to germinate than a red current tomato that was part of the same seed lot.

Of interest this spring, is that I lost my garlic breeding program in a rogue greenhouse. A storm flattened it, and I tore the greenhouse down. Tilled where it used to be. Now it has a fantastic patch of feral garlic growing in it. My garlic breeding project, became a phoenix.

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #17 on: 2021-06-10, 05:30:34 AM »
One of the porcelains that is now part of my main crop came out of a feral garlic patch.  They were a mixed batch of rounds someone brought from Bonavista, and got planted in my perennial garden.  They never produced anything but tiny bulbs and most years the little wisp of greens had died down before garlic harvest time, so I thought they were goners. One year I dug up and moved them to a different spot - planted immediately in August.  They carried on.  And then a couple of years later, I dug again and found one of the plants had produced an enormous round.   I planted and it produced a full sized bulb the next year, and I've been growing it ever since. :)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2021-06-11, 09:55:13 AM »
Joseph and another fellow both sent me some TGS several seasons ago. I just direct planted and only a couple came up but some laid in the ground and came up the next spring, or maybe sometime during winter, I don't know for sure. Dealing with removing the bulbils and such was too tedious for me and I lost track of what was what. It just all got mixed up with my other garlic(s) which were collected from various wild patches in my area and have just been left to grow as they will for years.

Since then I have seen a few garlic seeds which I did not bother to collect and save. Over the last two or three years a thick patch has established itself along the fence on the west side of my garden where it gets morning sun but heavy shade in afternoon. Recently I have been digging some up to eat and I'm finding lots that are very red colored, much more so than I've ever seen before and also lots that are just round like and onion. I was going to completely remove this wild(ish) patch as I have several others but think I may just thin it a little instead and keep an eye out for any seeds. It is the only patch with these anomalies, the others just look like they always have.

Both my garlic and my some of my walking onions are doing weird things this year. Growing top sets as normal but then with a second tier that is just flowers.
« Last Edit: 2021-06-11, 09:57:43 AM by reed »