Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - Jerry Irving

#1
Cucurbits / Re: Greenhouse Charentais Variety
2025-02-04, 03:59:46 PM
Hello Joe,

I think you might find this variety useful: https://www.rareseeds.com/melon-madhu-ras-rajasthan-honey

It is small and remains firmly attached to the vine when ripe.


I hope this was helpful.
#2
Hello Big Onion,

Have you tried planting potatoes with your beans?
According to Companion Planting by Brian Lowell: "Potatoes are a great companion to beans because they will repel the Mexican bean beetle."

I hope this was helpful.
#3
Great essay.  I know people have grafted tomatoes onto potato roots, but what if someone were to graft a potato onto a tomato root using the mentor graft?  Could you then get a potato plant which produces fruit that's more similar to tomato fruit?  Maybe you could selectively breed for potato/tomato hybrid fruit with less (or no) poison.
#4
Thank you for your help, but it is uncertain whether the squash you linked is C. lundelliana.  It is probably a moschata/argyrosperma hybrid.  This conclusion was made in a previous post: Looking for an opinion is this C. lundelliana?
#5
Cucurbits / Help Sourcing C. lundelliana Seeds
2024-07-31, 02:05:13 PM
I am an amateur plant breeder, and I have been wanting to start a C. lundelliana breeding project.  Where I live, squash gets eaten up by pests (usually caterpillars).  I was hoping I could develop a pest resistant squash that tastes good and can handle hot, humid weather.

The problem is; however, that I can't find anyone selling C. lundelliana seeds anywhere.  Is somebody able to help me source these seeds.  Your help is much appreciated.  Thank you for your assistance.

Also; If anyone wants to help me breed C. lundelliana, please let me know.  It would be best if you live near Florida, but any other hot climate might work also.