Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - PhilaGardener

#1
Researchers have found previously unrecognized genetic diversity in a Florida population of wild cotton.
 
Here's a link to the open access article for anyone that is interested:

Ning et al (2024) Origin and diversity of the wild cottons (Gossypium hirsutum) of Mound Key, Florida.  Scientific Reports volume 14, Article number: 14046 (2024) OPEN ACCESS LINK
#2
Mine fall to downy mildew, so resistance would be a great thing to incorporate into a gene pool.
#3
I've also had problems with good pod set in the Philadelphia area, which I attribute to our hot and humid summers.  I can get a flush of pods late in the season when things cool off a bit but often have issues getting seed to mature before first frost).  The pods are very good when picked young before they get fibrous!
#4
Tinkering / Re: Lost 41 hours of data
2024-03-12, 07:02:12 PM
For a moment I hought it was April 1  8)
#6
Boothby Blonde is an open-pollinated heirloom, so if you are happy with that variety just let a fruit of two mature and you will never have to buy seed again.   :)
#7
In addition to FEDCO, Goldini II is also being listed by Adaptive Seeds in Oregon.  They call it Carol Deppe's "improved line".

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/product/vegetables/squash/summer-squash/zucchini-goldini-2-organic/
#8
It sounds like your sample's genetics were bottlenecked before it got to you.  Given the scarcity of Goldini seed in circulation, it remains valuable.  Perhaps there are independently-derived lines out there that could be crossed with this one to restore some of that variability, but this highlights the importance of banking OSSI varieties when they are pledged so all that work isn't lost.
#9
Those look great!  It is nice to see this being grown out.
#10
Quote from: Lauren on 2020-01-14, 07:57:34 AM
I did this a few years, in a sense. I put the peas in a closed jar after they were dried out. The weevil that hatched headed for the top of the jar, presumably to be closer to any oxygen. I sorted out the peas that had holes and planted the rest.

I do it differently now. I sort for those with holes and then fumigate the seeds. If I was breeding for this I'd divide the seeds by plant and plant those that had the fewest weevil.

Nifty to hear someone has tried this!  After several years, any impact on the extent of infestation?
#11
Seed Saving / Re: Seed Stewardship
2020-01-13, 07:50:38 PM
I've been starting to archive things in a chest freezer but need to work on a better log of what's there and how to find it.  And freezer space seems to fill up fast!
#12
Blogs & Media / Re: Our Weather -2020
2020-01-11, 04:31:49 PM
Most fire-adapted ecosystems historically experienced fire on a regular basis - fires were fast and quick and kept the amount of flammable material from building up.  Some fire adapted species even require a burn to release their seeds and/or germinate.

When humans suppress those fires, the fuel builds up and then the burn is a unnatural in its severity and intensity.  That, with hot dry conditions, literally sets the tinderbox.
#13
Blogs & Media / Re: Our Weather -2020
2020-01-10, 04:41:59 AM
The Australian fires are such a unimaginable loss of life and natural diversity in such unique ecosystems.  It is an incredible tragedy . . .
#14
Legumes / Re: Rebsie's Red-Podded Peas
2020-01-10, 04:34:26 AM
Rebsie's work has been an inspiration for many of us, and it was neat to see this thread pop up and hear all these progress reports.

The plants in your second picture are really short.  Were dwarf alleles intentionally introduced by incorporating a line like Tom Thumb or did the trait arise spontaneously?
#15
To select for seed based resistance, it would be easy to put a bunch of seeds on a jar and let the weevils do their thing over the winter.  (Hard to watch, but effective!). Freeze in the Spring (rather than early in the Fall) and plant the debris.  Of course, you need to make sure the weevils don't escape!