Open Source Plant Breeding Forum

General Category => Community & Forum Building => Tinkering => Topic started by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2019-04-01, 09:59:00 PM

Title: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2019-04-01, 09:59:00 PM
Sorry that the server was down for an extended period of time today.

~Joseph

-------------------------------------------
Mon, 1st Apr 2019, 3:58 pm
wsl00001

We are aware that there are issues affecting this server. We are working to get them resolved. Update @ Mon Apr 1 10:16:00 MDT 2019 - This server is being rebooted to restore service. Upon reboot a file system integrity check has been forced. Update @ Mon Apr 1 10:31:00 MDT 2019 - The file system integrity check is 27% complete. Update @ Mon Apr 1 10:53:00 MDT 2019 - The file system integrity check is 58% complete. Update @ Mon Apr 1 11:23:00 MDT 2019 - This server is up and available for use.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2022-09-19, 11:26:37 PM
I checked the forum just before bed tonight, and it was down, broken by an "upgrade" that the ISP did to the server about an hour before.

I found the offending line of code, and disabled it. If you notice anything funky about how the forum works in the next few days, please let me know. When I'm not up in the night, way past bedtime, I'll try to figure out the proper fix.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2022-09-21, 12:04:44 AM
I permanently fixed the software issue today. It was in a minor script. Hopefully y'all won't even notice that something changed slightly in the interface...
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: reed on 2022-09-21, 03:20:54 AM
I'm still intermittently getting this error "Call to undefined function shell_exec()" when the site first loads. Refreshing the page fixes it.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Tim DH on 2022-09-21, 07:14:12 AM
Hi Joseph,
       I'm getting an error trying to post an image.
       It says 'Path cannot be empty'.
Tim DH
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Tim DH on 2022-09-21, 07:19:01 AM
I've now tried sending the post without the picture and it says

You already submitted this post! You might have accidentally double clicked or tried to refresh the page.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Tim DH on 2022-09-21, 07:25:12 AM
I've retyped the message and its been accepted (in the thread 'Back Crossing Latah) But when I try to modify the post by adding a picture, it gives me the path cannot be empty error message.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Tim DH on 2022-09-21, 07:28:51 AM
Just to check that it isn't a problem with today's picture, I've just tried adding the picture that was accepted on the previous post. Same error message.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2022-09-21, 09:42:25 AM
Thanks for these reports. I am intending to do a major version upgrade in the next few days. It may fix both of these issues.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Diane Whitehead on 2022-09-21, 10:16:42 AM
Yesterday and today I get this message when I first try logging in:

Open Source Plant Breeding Forum   An Error Has Occurred!
Call to undefined function shell_exec()
Back

When I go back and try again, the site loads properly.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Steph S on 2022-09-22, 05:46:17 PM
I had a few error messages too, where the site could not be accessed.
Good luck with that upgrade, Joseph.  Hope it all goes smoothly but, you know, life has bumps.
It's always gratifying to find a site has been restored.  ;D
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2022-09-22, 09:46:48 PM
Thanks Steph. Starting by making a complete backup. Then a backup of the backup...
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Diane Whitehead on 2022-09-24, 11:54:24 AM
The problem remained earlier this morning, but now has disappeared.

Good work, Joseph!
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Steph S on 2022-09-24, 03:03:09 PM
I'm still getting an error message, but if I press the Back button and then try again it lets me in.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Diane Whitehead on 2022-09-25, 09:31:34 AM
Yes, so am I.  The one time it worked was a fluke.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Tim DH on 2022-09-25, 02:29:09 PM
Hi Joseph,
   Thanks for your efforts. .... I still can't post a photo using the 'modify' option on my earlier message.

Tim DH
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2022-09-25, 05:16:52 PM
Upgraded the forum this evening to the latest version.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2022-09-25, 06:31:48 PM
Test
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Diane Whitehead on 2022-09-27, 12:49:23 PM
Now I'm getting a different response the first time I try, but the second time I try is OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2023-12-12, 09:06:21 AM
The past few days the server has been giving timeout errors. I tweaked a few settings in the back end. Let me know if the behavior continues.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Joseph Lofthouse on 2024-04-22, 12:20:25 PM
Sorry that the SSL certificate expired. I replaced it with one that auto-renews, so that shouldn't happen again.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: William Schlegel on 2024-04-24, 09:23:59 PM
Forum is a bit quiet. Could there be any lingering issues?
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: A. Pel on 2024-04-25, 02:02:17 AM
>Forum is a bit quiet. Could there be any lingering issues?

Forum works OK for me now - the SSL problems are long since gone.

Maybe we should start a "What did you do in your Garden Today" thread. That sort of thing usually gets conversations going - yes it's not specifically breeding focused, but everybody does like to talk shop.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Steph S on 2024-04-25, 05:04:03 AM
Happy to see we're up again.  I just tried again this morning after updating my own system.
Thanks for fixing the certificate issue, Joseph.
Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: Cathy A on 2024-04-25, 08:44:03 AM
I think the quiet is just that we are early in the season, and there is not as much to talk about. After lots of discussion of our plans during the winter, now we are heads-down actually doing the planting.

Title: Re: Server Status Report
Post by: reed on 2024-04-25, 05:09:16 PM
Quote from: Cathy A on 2024-04-25, 08:44:03 AMAfter lots of discussion of our plans during the winter, now we are heads-down actually doing the planting.

YEP!