Software for extended plant cultivation practices

Started by Anders Nielsen, 2023-02-06, 05:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anders Nielsen

Dear All,

As this is my first post I'll just skip the introductions and get to the fact's that more or less covers my projects overall and also why I'm reaching out here, to find some inspiration on how to manage my rather extensive plant collection.

I have the convenience of trying to manage about 200+ individual collections of seeds pr. year.
And this has kinda grown beyond the point where an excel spreadsheat is not really covering my needs anymore.

I'd like to register detailed data about each lot (not all are used for further propagation), but a select few are intended to lay the basis of a plant propagation down the line gradually introduced.

Ideally id be able to register in a database, and both plan future production cycles, also marked this on a "webshop" in some form. And I am just not really beeing able to find any free open source programs to help me with this, since most of such software are commercially based, and I'm guessing that we all would like such a program to keep track of our I imagine not (yet) so profitable endevours.

Some of the things I would like to keep a register off, is:


Taxa database - Naming, lot numbering, origin/supplier and trait decription, and images.

Production planing - Propagation cycles, replantning cycles, product harvest/selling scheduling.

Marketing - Sharing seedlists, product sheets, displaying plant products for sale in a webshop.


Kindly any advice would be helpfull, and maybe if such a germplasm/plant production/selling sofware might be in all our interest, a such perhaps could be devloped in some way for shared benificial use.


AndrewB

I personally don't know of any,  but I hope I'm wrong.

I would like plant breeding software. Something akin to dog breeding or horse breeding software with pedigrees and a place to put photos. Ability to put phenotype and genotype. Would be great to track plant pedigrees.

There are some open source pedigree software, but I'm not a programmer so I can't modify it.

Steph S

Hi Anders and welcome to the forum.
Just thinking of Tatiana's Tomatobase as an example of a well designed database for taxa:
https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page
Not presently active for seed distribution, but you could reach out to her and ask about the software, whether they would consider open sourcing it so it could be modified for similar purposes.  I believe her partner is the software developer.

WRT production planning, you could take a look at what is here:
https://sourceforge.net/software/farm-management/
and see if any are suitable - I see some that have a free version, not only a free trial.

I'm interested in getting better organized too. 
Let me know if you find something free and helpful! 

Tim DH

Daffseek is a useful resource

https://daffseek.org/

The home page has an acknowledgements box which includes Developers.

Tim DH