Montana Tomato Project

Started by William Schlegel, 2022-11-13, 08:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Schlegel

I believe I just put an adequate supply of #651 seed in to ferment in order to get a really decent population size in 2027. 651 is LA0410 x 294. The fruits have half strength anthocyanin, faint striping, and are red and of a good size. Most remarkably they have superior flavor in the F1!

I think the F2 will be a lot of fun. Not quite as exciting as the Mission Mountain Morning x Brad's Atomic Grape F2 that led to 294 but I think I can expect some excellent flavor, color, and fruit variations.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William Schlegel

Saved Seed 08-30-2026

298
F3?
Small
Ok
Is a blue bicolor MMM X PZ X MMM X PH5

523
F2
Large Packet
More
294 GWR Antho Stripes x PI 129143

533
F2
Medium
Ok
EO X ET x LA0410

544
F2
Medium
Ok
310 Yellow Bicolor Good Flavor X 129143

550
F2
Large
Ok
321 Sunviva X X LA 1385

551
F2
Medium
Ok
321 (Sunviva X) X 129143

569
F2
Large Packet
More
339 Blue Bicolor Dwarf from Promiscuous Project Cross Best Flavor x LA1385

570
F2
Medium
Ok
339 mild x 129143

583
F2
Large
Ok
365 Blue Yellow Heart Reed Collaboration with some Purple Zebra x 129143

587
F2
Medium
Ok
4-124 x 129143

610
F2
Small
Ok
499 (Dwarf Moby's x 303) Yellow Antho x LA0410

623
F2
Large
Ok
501 Blue Bicolor x LA0410

635
F2
Small
Ok
515 (358 (Payette x MMM x Sweet Cherriette)X 319(MMM x Galapagense X X MMM X LA2329))Antho Bicolor x PI 129143

636
F2
Small
Ok
5-66 orange? X 129143

643
F2
Medium
Ok
Fisher's (Benewah x Beefmaster) x EO X PI 129143

649
F2
Large Packet
Ok
LA0410 x 284 gonna be red

650
F2
Small
Ok
LA0410 X 286

651
F2
Medium
More
LA0410 X 294 has light stripes and antho and excellent flavor

654
F2
Small
Ok
LA0410 x 339

655
F2
Medium
Ok
LA0410 x 366 Dwarf

659
F2
Small
Ok
100%

662
F2
Medium
Ok
Marchenengel x LA1385

663
F2
Medium
Ok
Matt's Wild x 314

664
F2
Medium
Ok
129143 x 283

665
F2
Medium
Ok
129143 x 303

669
F2
Small
Ok
SH13 X LA 1385

Sunsugar
F2
Small
Ok
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William Schlegel

https://victoryseeds.com/products/dwarf-eagle-smiley-tomato?srsltid=AfmBOoqLVjpXxoK-dSaOlwKFlYFMeeN1yxVzsA_Y4ayOGsJ2VEtkjOtE

I was wondering how my crosses between my green when ripe 294 line and red wild and indigenous tomatoes might segregate next year. I was also wondering about a larger question of which tomato crosses might result in maximum morphological diversity. So I searched for examples from the dwarf tomato project.

Dwarf Eagle Smiley is Summertime Green x Mexico midget. So likely I can add yellow to the array of expected segregants I'll see next year.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William Schlegel

Quote from: William Schlegel on 2026-08-29, 12:41:28 PMCross takes 2026

294 RL round x Punta Banda large
294 x 390717 very small
294 x 128445 large
294 x 158164 very small
129129 x 303 small
Andrew's pimp x 303 small
PH5 x 303 large
Chiapas x 303 large
Galahad x 129143 large
Stupice x LA1385 small
Black Cherry x LA1385 small
Texas wild cherry x 303 medium
294 PL plum x Punta Banda large
298 x Lyc859
298 x 390714
576 x 303 large
523 x 303 large
569 x 303 medium
550 x 303 large
662 x 303 large
669 x 303 large & small
655 x 303 large
587 x 303 large
635 x 303 large
667 x 303 large
Galx x 303 large
656 x 303 medium
650 x 303 small

Hopefully frost waits for these cross takes



It's supposed to freeze tonight. I picked green about 16 of these crosses. They may yet ripen and have viable seeds. Or some of them may. It's also possible I lost some out in the garden. They are close to 6 weeks old.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William Schlegel

#454
I asked AI Copilot what fruit morphologies I might be missing in my program for a step after next. It suggested I had most possible morphologies already but that Brandywine, San Marzano, and L. Piriforma (pear shape) all already in my collection would complete things. It also suggested Geranium Kiss and microdwarfs but I think those are for plant morphologies. I would substitute BrandyFred for Brandywine though as it is already an OSSI dwarf. I am not entirely sure about said AI advice vs. an analysis I could make myself or advice from others. I agree that I need some kind of pear. Though I also want to breed in some of the traveler's tomato type at some point.

On another note, I am interested in using more of the varieties I've obtained from Triple Divide Seed Coop and curious if I should get packets of the few that I don't have. I've already made crosses with a few. They carry Stupice so I made three crosses last year with Home Stoop an OSSI tomato descended from Stupice. I've made a past cross with Idagold- though it might be extinct. I've also made past crosses with Glacier and with Flamenco itself a Silvery Fir Tree cross. I have but still need to make crosses with Mandarin Mini, Pink Princess, Golden Princess, Ararat Flame, Northern Ruby Paste, Tigerella, Black Cherry, and Juanne Flamme. I have yet to obtain Black Russian, Peace Vine, or Raspberry Lyanna. Though I do have a considerable back log and seem to be running lower on time and energy for big tomato gardens. Still future goals!

Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days