Bambarra Ground Nuts source

Started by Jeremy Weiss, 2020-11-14, 09:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Weiss

Hi all

I just though I should pass on a little source I managed to dig up. Someone on Etsy if offering half pound bags of Bambarra Groundnuts (Vigna subterrenea) https://www.etsy.com/listing/794295311/bambara-beans-12-oz-product-of-ghana?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1 from Ghana.

It seems like a lot of money but bear in mind that divided by how much you get, it's actually cheaper than buying them by the packet.

Also note that what you will get is not NEARLY as colorful as what it shown in the picture (I have no idea when the person got the picture) it's currently a typical mix , mostly solid whitish tan with a few eyed seeds and the odd brown one (I lucked out and got some Malian material that was a little more diverse, but that's all gone* ) 

*I DO have enough of the white Malian material to share a LITTLE, but bear in mind that the stuff was super buggy when I got it, and I'm still not sure all of the bugs are gone (I've  probably had to remove between 2/3 and 3/4 of the seed due to insect damage)

Garrett Schantz

Theseedstead is selling Bambarra Nuts as well. Dunno about the variety.
They are also selling another type called Nzama Jugo Bean.
Might be nice for variety


Jeremy Weiss

It might indeed, especially since the Nzama seems to have the splotchy seed the Ghanian stuff does not.

One color I KNOW exists (but have yet to see anyone selling) is black.

Other places that have it are Sacred Succulents (they have brown, tan, and red)

Baker Creek HAD a speckled one they said was more day length neutral, but I don't know if they still do.


UnicornEmily

Quote from: Jeremy Weiss on 2020-11-14, 07:58:22 PMBaker Creek HAD a speckled one they said was more day length neutral, but I don't know if they still do.

I think I read somewhere that Baker Creek Seeds usually still has leftovers of things they used to carry.  You could e-mail them and ask if they do.

Jeremy Weiss

Quote from: UnicornEmily on 2022-10-23, 01:33:12 AMI think I read somewhere that Baker Creek Seeds usually still has leftovers of things they used to carry.  You could e-mail them and ask if they do.

Maybe, but we are talking about something I saw five or six years ago. I doubt they still have leftovers now, and even if they did, they might not be good anymore.

In any case, since I posted that I have had dealing with both Jibril in Ghana (who sells Bamarras of many colors by the pound, as well as the much harder to find Kersting's groundnut (Macrotyloma geocarpum)AND found and bought out Trade Winds Seeds recent supply (which has provided me with a few of the black seeds I had been trying to find for so long). So I'm pretty good now (though, if you think they might keep leftovers, maybe I'll contact them about some Horned Melon Rund seed, as my vines failed to produce any fruit and I'd like to try again.)

UnicornEmily

I've heard they do, so I'd say it's definitely worth contacting them to ask!