We are a bunch of breeding nerds obsessed by tomatoes

Started by Nicolas, 2023-04-29, 06:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolas

The state of the forum reflects my own mind this past time, an obsession for tomato breeding.

But it would be a shame that this forum turns into a tomato only discussion board. There were a lots of good subjects some months ago, and this forum has a lot of talented minds working on a lot of species.

I hope nobody fears to talk about other species, and that it does not deter potential future members to join and add their cool projects.

Cathy A

I am interested in legumes as well, but they are more difficult to breed. They don't cross readily even when interplanted, and bean flowers are easy to destroy when emasculation and hand pollination is attempted.

Perhaps someone needs to do for beans and peas what the Beautifully Promiscuous and Tasty Tomato project has done for tomatoes?

Is there a wild, outbreeding species of legume that is closely enough related to common beans or peas to cross with it, and bring outbreeding back to legumes?

I'm also interested in breeding a better pickling cucumber that better suits my conditions. That should be much easier since I can simply interplant several varieties in a grex, and let them cross on their own.

But I can't deny that tomatoes remain my primary interest.

Nicolas

Quote from: Cathy A on 2023-04-29, 10:46:22 AMIs there a wild, outbreeding species of legume that is closely enough related to common beans or peas to cross with it, and bring outbreeding back to legumes?

Promiscously pollinated french beans (phaseolus vulgaris) ? :)

AndrewB

#3
https://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php/topic,63.0.html

High outcrossing peas?

I'm growing out my nap gene peas this year. I've decided to name it 'napoleon'.

William Schlegel

I decided a few years ago to focus on tomatoes till I accomplished something with it, but I do grow other things and those things are almost always breeding experiments. However I tend to direct seed those things and I haven't got anything going right now but tomatoes. I could almost see having a separate forum for just tomatoes. I don't really want to move anywhere though! Or add anything. Too much social media is icky.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Steph S

Quote from: Andrew Barney on 2023-04-29, 11:14:42 AMhttps://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php/topic,63.0.html

High outcrossing peas?

I'm growing out my nap gene peas this year. I've decided to name it 'napoleon'.

'napoleon'.... I love it!!!   :)

I was stuck on tomatoes alone for years, but reading about other projects here really sparked my interest.  The differences in just simple things like color genetics kind of blows my mind, I'm so used to the tomato thing.   
I'm growing out my F1 pea crosses this year too.
We have a nice pea group here, potentially, so here's hoping to see more of it... and everything else.

AndrewB

I'm also going to try breeding an F1 this year for radishes that potentially might lead to orange radishes in the F2. That would be a color combination never seen in radishes before!

Kadence Luneman

Like William, I don't have much to share until time comes to actually have them growing. So I've got at least 2 weeks of questionable time before getting into more reliable no frosts time.

Tim DH

Hi Nicolas,
Tomatoes do have a number of features to recommend them as a project:

1) The initial investment can be so small. You could start by just spitting a few seed from a salad.
2) The space requirement is small. You could complete a project on a windowsill
3) The generation time is short. Possibly under four months.
4) There is a huge pool of cultivars to work with.
5) An ordinary envelope can bring new material from anywhere in the world.
6) There is a lot of supporting literature.
7) The results are easily assessed. Everyone has an opinion on tomatoes!

By comparison: The fact of the matter is that I may never get to see my own pear hybrids. Just assembling a small collection of interesting varieties has taken years, quite a lot of money, a fair bit of space and a few hundred miles of travel! Going forward, constructing any sort of growing out trial would require a huge investment in time and space.

Tim DH