Scarlett runner beans

Started by William Schlegel, 2022-11-05, 12:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Schlegel

Got some Scarlett runner beans seeds from Joseph a few years back. The black seeded ones did the best. I think two years in a row. Though last year I got white ones.

This year I got one white beans. A good number of black ones. A good number of the ordinary sort red and black ones that look stripy. My mom bought us multiple packets of the ordinary sort and I think I planted some of them this year.

I also tried the OSSI variety British pop this year. I don't think they made it. Might just have been chance though.

I don't know why they don't do better. Outbreeding depression could become an issue if they cross at a high rate the way I've been going. So maybe I should slow my role on introducing new stock and replant my saved seeds from this year again.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

UnicornEmily

Is there a difference in taste between the colors?

William Schlegel

I haven't been successful enough to eat any myself.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Diane Whitehead

I just eat them as green beans, so I don't know the seed colour unless I let the pods dry to save seeds.  I didn't do that often enough, so I ran out of a lot, like Enorma, which has 20 inch pods.

Last year I bought nine kinds from Nicky's Nursery in the U.K.

https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/index.php/vegetable-seeds-beans-c-6_13_336
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

UnicornEmily

I love both the name Enorma, and the fact that it fulfills the promise of that name and has huge pods.  :D

Garrett Schantz

I have 4 or 5 "bush" runner bean seed packets.

Bought them a year or two ago.

I think most still have red flowers.

Planting them next year, maybe alongside normal ones.

Hoping to see if some are still self incompatible.