Blight Resistance in Potatoes and Tomatoes

Started by William Schlegel, 2018-11-04, 09:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim DH

Hi Thomas,
   Thanks for the Lubera link. I have bought from them in the past. However their current position is:

Lubera stops plant deliveries to the UK
Due to Brexit, we are not able to deliver to the UK. We are working on a solution on how we can continue to bring a wide range of Lubera plants to the UK and directly to our customers' homes in the future. However, such a solution will not be available before 2022 or 2023.


Hi Nicollas,
   Thanks for the Culinaris link. An interesting tomato list.

   My understanding of the current post Brexit customs rules is that Tomato seed is not (at this moment) covered by the new exceedingly onerous regulations, but it will be after June 30th 2022. However, the area is such a minefield that most suppliers (like Lubera) would prefer not to get involved,  risking their stock to the whim of some customs officer. I tried late last year to import some seed 'at my own risk', it never showed up.



Tim DH

Mikkel ImGrimm

#122
I started at the same time and in the same town like culinaris but they went the sophisticated path via selection and documentation I did not  (I would describe my way as assisted feralisation :) )

These are the ones I started with. Saladtypes with occasionally some beefish fruits on the same plants. I selected the beeflike fruits for seed extraction. It turned out that I unconsciously selected that way for cross-pollination


you can find some more pictures from the last years here: (besides other varieties I cultivated ove rthe years)

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0zJtdOXmGRy2sz

One beeflike fruit from last season


Roland

I grow Sunviva in 2021 and it was good blight resistant.
Its also very vigorous so u have to remove a lot of suckers. Even in the middle and end of the leaves it produces suckers.
The fruit has a hard skin, but because the flesh is hard its not realy noticeable.

In 2022 I will grow Sunviva again and I will grow some F1 crosses from Sunviva.
I took a lot of seeds from Sunviva, its a keeper.
Netherlands

ThomatoGarden

@ImGrimmer

Nice Photos and nice Garden.

Is the Big strain stable in size, Lets say   5cm and up, or is it getting smaller sometimes ? 

Justin Jardinier

The paper 'Assessment of Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) Landraces for Their Agronomic, Biochemical Characteristics and Resistance to Phytophthora infestans'. These are landraces from, forgive my copy and paste: AU−Austria; FR−France; GR−Greece IT−Italy; RO−Romania; RU−Russia; TH−Thailand.

From the supplementary table they have some with 'high' resistance to LB with fruits of 90~95g weight, and with 'very high' resistance up to 23g. Could be useful.

Tim DH

Hi Justin,
    An interesting find! It took me a while to track down a list of the 35 cultivars they were assessing. Only one of the 'very high' blight resistant varieties is freely available: 'Thai Pink'.

Another one to add to my 2024 list!

Thanks

Tim DH


Justin Jardinier

Yeah sorry, I should have included the links. The paper:
https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4395/13/1/21

The supplementary table listing the accessions used:
https://www.mdpi.com/article/10.3390/agronomy13010021/s1

Roland

Quote from: ThomatoGarden on 2022-02-05, 01:22:47 PMHello Roland,

Yes i searched for Galahad F1 and Mountain Rouge F1 but couldnt find a source
which delivers to Germany. Do you know one?

Here u can buy Galahad F1 (Galadiant F1) seeds in europe:
https://nl.be-shop.voltz-maraichage.com/conventionele-zaden/tomaat-gv-563030-galadiant-f1
Netherlands

ThomatoGarden

Thanks for the link,

when i select Germany, the Galadiant F1 is not available atm. but i will try to contact them.

If you (or anyone in EU) wants Mountain Magic F3  seeds , big or small. PM me have many

Nicolas

Tim's taste of paradise had a pretty good late blight resistance in my garden this year. Small fruits but a good fruity flavor.

Dont know if the resistance if from pimpi or habrochaites. Could be some multigenic horizontal resistance who knows ...

I can share seeds in the EU too :)