Welcome and Introduce Yourself!

Started by AndrewB, 2018-10-12, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Schlegel

Welcome Vesa, my tomato projects seem to take most of my gardening time. Look forward to hearing about yours as well.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Vesa Tee

#136
Well, Steph, everything really cold sensitive is under plastic. The plum threes are killed by winter every now and then which is why we often try to avoid crafted plums but use true breed clones which regenerates themselves by suckers in few years at site when the bad winter happens. And I get nothing from the melons in a cool summer. The melons are from a small fruited genepool mix of ultra early melons. Only one eggplant variety is doing really well in my polytunnels, and the season is not really long enough for ripe red bell peppers which is why I prefer shishito or others consumed unripe. I sow ocra and edamame in pots at the beginning of May for a short but warm, high humidity start in my best greenhouse, in similar way than I would grow cucumbers. Shorter season in the best possible conditions is sometimes more successful than long in less optimal, such as starting seeds inside the house on window or something.

But yes, we don't have icebergs floting arround.  :D

Steph S

That makes sense, Vesa.  :D
We trialed a lot of peppers here for a few years, and there are some early OP's that did well from early starts - Jimmy Nardello, Frank's, Petit Marseillais, etc which are thinner walled sweet peppers, as well as a good selection of hots.  But they do compete for that scarce greenhouse space everybody needs for tomatoes. ;) 
Looking forward to hear more about your breeding projects.

Adrian

#138
The peppers is however more resistant at the freez that the tomato but he grow more slowly.I have sucessed to wintering a peper.For me he is resistant up to -6°C and -4°C for the tomato.
https://alanbishop.proboards.com/thread/9489/wintering-tomato-pepper

jimbakjones94

I am brand new to plant breeding, and I came across this forum while reading posts on the Permies blog! I am in the Southeastern USA. Excited to learn more from all of y'all!

Tim DH

Hi There,
   First an apology from me! On the only other forum I regularly frequent (The Scottish Rock Garden one.) It has never occurred to me to look at the 'New Members' thread. So if you are reading this. ... Bless you! ... You are obviously more community minded than history suggests I am.
   I'm here, in the first instance, because I want to talk tomatoes. I have been trying, for some  m o n t h s   to join Tomatoville. ... When I expressed my frustration on the afore mentioned SRGC site, Diane Whitehead suggested I try here. SO: Thank you Diane AND thank you to Admin for letting me in!
   Having lurked here as a guest for a while, I see you are interested in a whole lot of other things that interest me.
   I live in Northern England and garden principally for the kitchen and cut flowers. The kitchen side of this is an attempt to reduce my dependence on Supermarkets and Mega agribusiness.

Tim DH

Joseph Lofthouse

Welcome Tim!

The hardest part of keeping this site operational is sorting through the new member requests to eliminate spammers... I can understand why Tomatoville would be overwhelmed.

William Schlegel

Welcome Tim,

I tried to join tomatoville a few years back. It would let me log in but never view members only content or post. So I gave up!
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Greenie DeS

I've also tried to join tomatoville every couple years since the old gardenweb tomato forum diminished and have also never had success. I'm very glad for this site, and that you found it!

TinyMonster

Greetings,
My name is Ryan, and I run a little market garden in Lorette, Manitoba, called Tiny Monster Garden. I've moved back and forth across Canada over the past few years, with my seed collection steadily growing with each move. I dabble in basic plant breeding a bit, but that portion of my garden is growing as I see the need for more breeds suited to our short season and harsh northern climate.

Interested in OSSI very much, and I'm happy to be a steward of several varieties included in the initiative, including Goldini, which I understand, has been difficult to get ahold of recently.

reed

Welcome Tim and Ryan, nice to have some new folks on board.

Arjan vD

Hello, I joined this forum a while ago but hadn't introduced myself yet.

My father and I own a small nursery in the Netherlands. We used to grow mainly cutflowers for about 20 years, but we switched to growing and selling gardenplants and since last year we also run a campsite on our nursery.
I've also been growing hardy exotics like palmtrees and bananas as a hobby since 2004 and since a couple of years I've been growing tomatoes as a hobby.
I've been trying out a bunch of tomato varieties over the years including some wild strains but the one tomato I liked the best was a cross I made myself between Weight in gold and Dwarf champion improved.
So i'm working on stabilizing this cross and make some crosses with it.

Steph S

Welcome Arjan, Ryan and Tim.  Always nice to see new members joining in! :)

William Schlegel

#148
Welcome!

http://jandlgardens.com/xencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=625

The weight in Gold above bred by Lee Goodwin at J and L gardens in New Mexico? I need to try growing it again. My 2020 plant didn't make fruit to save seed from. I only planted a few seeds. One or the problems with having so many segregating populations of tomatoes is its hard to give other people's tomatoes a decent trial.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Tim DH

Hi Arjan,
         I'm new here too! ... Thankfully December is a good time for reading and dreaming!! There is a HUGE amount of fascinating reading available on this forum.

         In your cut flower past do you have any experience with Freesias? I've been messing about with dwarf Freesias for a while. (Tho' as with all things horticultural, Brexit has somewhat clipped my horizons!)

Tim DH