Author Topic: Fava breeding  (Read 11168 times)

William Schlegel

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Fava breeding
« Reply #60 on: 2021-11-23, 07:51:57 AM »
I like the green in yours, I have green but it is rare.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Tim DH

• Yorkshire UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 8
« Reply #61 on: 2021-11-24, 01:30:51 AM »
Hi William,
I was SO Pleased to find the 2008 photo that I posted it straight off without thinking. My ‘Broads’ have been somewhat neglected of late, I just grow them. (It doesn’t help that my wife is not a fan of Broad Beans!) Your thread on here is the third thing recently to re-spark my interest. The other two things being: (1) That I have developed a taste for Bean Cake, made from dry ground flour. (2) We have discovered that Bean Humous made from wet milled beans is GOOD!

Anyway, back to the colours. … The green is good fresh out of the pod but the brightness of all the colours doesn’t last long once they are shelled.

The thing that struck me about that 2008 photo was the range of colours. I don’t get that now. The photo from 2011, with quinces, shows a slight reduction in variety. After that I don’t have many good photos until 2016 ( Shot as a result of utilising child labour in the shelling!!! ) when it appears that the colours had pretty much reduced to four (Black, Purple, Green & White).

This year I’m almost completely down to three colours, Black, Green and White. I can easily imagine how the colour might have homogenised over a long period, but for it to have polarised, in three directions, is curious.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
    • William's Instagram which is not set to public so message me if you want added
« Reply #62 on: 2021-11-24, 08:27:05 AM »
What I think is going on with mine is a lot of crossing and blurring. So lots of shades of purple, lots of shades of tan and not much green or yellow left. Looks like the new brown speckled trait is maybe dominant and maybe fingerprint trait is recessive to codominant. One clearly hybrid purple showed the fingerprint. Also may be some survival of the fittest going on. My 2021 pretty seeds planting produced mostly plain looking seeds. Half purple seeds produced tan, deep purple and half purple. Fingerprint produced some purple, some brown speckled, and some tan but very few fingerprint.

I need to decide if I want to steward the variety I have named another generation or not soon. Or if I want to see if someone else will steward it and then I use the space to start working on new iterations.

I think Josephs technique of equalizing colors might be useful with the planting seed. Also might be good to semi isolate by keeping the colors together in say a long row. Dark purple, half purple, tan, green, then yellow. Also maybe sizes as the tiny ones are a bit rare.

Though some colors like half purple may represent codominance.

I suspect I have good native bee populations adapted to pollinate the native lupine species here.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #63 on: 2022-01-11, 12:15:22 AM »
Figured I would post this here:

https://raindanceseeds.squarespace.com/rare-vegetables/maroon-spot-fava-bean

Didn't see this pheno here, I don't really grow Favas too much due to ants farming thing with aphids, but it looks nice.

And a mix.

https://www.siskiyouseeds.com/products/fava-beans-andean-mix

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: 2022-01-11, 05:01:36 AM »

https://raindanceseeds.squarespace.com/rare-vegetables/maroon-spot-fava-bean
Very nice, i'm putting the pic here for more visibility :

« Last Edit: 2022-02-10, 11:12:45 AM by Nicollas »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2022-01-11, 05:36:48 AM »
I got the andean mix from siskiyou in 2020. Also a fingerprint fava and brown speckled. I planted them mixed with some of my older grex in 2020 and in 2021.

They seemed to wash out quite a bit in their second year in 2021. Reverting a bit to the tans and purples that dominate the original grex. Perhaps some outcompetition and some crossing. Or outcompetition by crossing.

My plan going forward is more small separations and color sorting to try to keep more colors in the mix but I'm not sure how it will work.

Also very interested in stabilizing new colors of fingerprint favas. Not sure how that will work out. One generation of outcrossing seems to have washed out most of the visible fingerprints except on one purple plant but the fingerprint fava patch is in a separate seed bag for now so hopefully in 2022 some will segregate back out.

I have also been gifted a Crimson Fava from a seed saver. It is a green fava with consistently crimson flowers a rare trait in my grex and green not as common as I would like.

Still waiting and hoping that my 2020 grown Montana Rainbow favas will pass testing for their release through Snake River seeds. 

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2022-01-18, 03:31:21 PM »
Just got an email from Snake River Seed. Montana Rainbow Fava has 96% germination. Yay! My fava baby is going out into the world. Freeing my fava patches for further tinkering!

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
    • Garden Updates
« Reply #67 on: 2022-01-26, 11:09:49 AM »
Oh good, I've been waiting to make my order from snake River until Montana Rainbow shows up.

I'm regretting not trying to overwinter a couple plants outside just to 100% prove I can't do it here. It would have been a good test winter, we got -30C befoe we got much snow.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2022-01-26, 01:15:10 PM »
« Last Edit: 2022-01-26, 01:26:51 PM by William S. »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2022-02-10, 06:38:28 AM »
Going to plant some Fava beans today I hope.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2022-02-10, 01:29:04 PM »
Got some planted in four different patches. I planted the fingerprint favas into two patches, one patch for those with actual fingerprints (though all but one was kind of faded and the one might have been a holdover from last year), and one patch for those that didn't seem to have fingerprints anymore- lots of those.

Then I did a patch with a mixture of some special colors and a crimson flowered fava with green seeds that was given to me. Then the final patch was a packet of little, tiny favas from Joseph that I added some little, tiny ones from the special color ones I had sorted out. I could probably do another patch later in the spring but will have to see.

Biggest priority this year is to find out what happens with the fingerprint fava segregation. Will the fingerprints come back? In more colors?

In my garden and seed bins my fava now have influence from the following:

Frog Island Nation, Windsor, early windsor, Ianto's return, Lofthouse (these five make up Montana Rainbow)

Then since I have added Ur Kupina (fingerprint), Andean Mix, Brown Speckled, two new Lofthouse packets, and crimson flowered.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-20, 08:42:09 AM by William S. »

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2022-02-11, 12:45:21 PM »
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1163607592/montana-rainbow-fava-beans-25-seeds

My wife has added Montana Rainbow fava to her Etsy store.

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2022-02-20, 08:52:21 AM »
Ah, I used a packet of Ianto's return from a tiny company in Washington state as a foundation to my strain of favas!

The company I think I got them from no longer sells them they've started a mix! https://www.resilientseeds.com/store/p181/Fava_-_Mixed_%28Certified_Organic%29.html

Interestingly the company I think I got my Ianto's return and frog island nation from has started their own grex.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: 2022-02-20, 09:39:00 AM »
I thought Ianto's Return always was a grex.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

William Schlegel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2022-02-20, 10:23:54 AM »
Yes, it was/is but if you add other things to it and go through a few generations is no longer the same grex. I'm not sure if their new grex at Resilient Seeds contains Ianto's return because they don't list their grex components but mine does for sure! Joseph's fava bean grex/landrace also contained Ianto's return.

Ianto's return is still available https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/product/vegetables/beans/fava-bean-ianto-s-return-organic/