Author Topic: Fava breeding  (Read 2317 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Fava breeding
« Reply #30 on: 2020-02-20, 05:14:58 PM »
So its February 20th and I just planted my fava bean grex which I am thinking of now as Montana Rainbow Fava in the bases of three old sawdust and bark piles on February 20th. Mowed, rototilled, then scattered a bag of the 2018 harvest on each and rototilled it in. Saved a bag for later replanting if needed.

I didn't plant any favas in 2019 because I left about half of the 2018 seed production on the plants. Volunteers existed, fall volunteers died over winter. However some seeds managed to wait till an appropriate time and I got 3 or 4 plants. All mid sized boring and tan colored. Wonder of they are hard seeded. Got about 20 seeds or so for my troubles. If a volunteer strain is possible it's an extreme selection process for sure.

Bought three new kinds from Siskiyou seeds an Andean mix a brown speckled, and a fingerprint fava. Plan to add them in but didn't plant them today. Probably will plant a special patch of them with the 2019 volunteers in March at the usual time.
« Last Edit: 2020-02-24, 08:38:16 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2020-03-06, 06:55:32 PM »
It's open burning season in my county! No permit needed to burn till the end of April. So I burned my accumulated brush pile and planted some more fava beans in the resulting ash, charcoal, and mud as I put it out with the hose. Well is working fine because of the dry spring. It tends to flood and need a new part in wet springs. So was able to use the hose.

Will go back out and plant more favas in a day or two. Got tired of poking them in.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-06, 07:12:19 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2020-03-08, 05:46:14 PM »
Planted the rest of my fava seed today March 8th. Might have a couple saved seeds left somewhere but the four grocery bags are all in the ground.

Also managed to till up the fenced garden today as the soil tilt was good. Found one errant purple fava seed while doing so proving that the rodents still translocate my seeds on occassion.