Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones - New Zealand  (Read 14190 times)

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks whwoz. Hmmm, I recall some type of wire support system, with a flare, perhaps for flower arranging? Something like that might work, just to keep the Bushy types off the soil, and allow air circ.

whwoz

• View Profile
Thinking about it, why not look at something like a tomato cage, narrow at the base,  wider at the top with a number of rings of wire to tie the runners to?   Could stake cage to the ground with stakes tied at the top if wind is an issue

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Ahh yes, that was what I had in mind, tomato frame, or similar. As an aside, have noticed that BB is a 'spitter', some pods, whilst drying down inside, have spat seeds out. This has not occurred with G1 or EFR.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
You must have wild bamboo growing in and around your area Chris, that's ideal stuff to use for climbing up
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Ahh yes, that was what I had in mind, tomato frame, or similar. As an aside, have noticed that BB is a 'spitter', some pods, whilst drying down inside, have spat seeds out. This has not occurred with G1 or EFR.

you might have a few voluntarily pop up next summer.
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes, I think that will be the case Richard, bit like my garlic experiments - stuff popping up everywhere now! and as for Bamboo, there is plenty here, but thinking a more robust frame maybe, bit like on that Cornell Uni video, in case of high winds/rain? BB especially is a tricky monster, dense as could be, with little/short.. fat/thick pod stalks, that take an age to mature (again vs G1)

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
How cool looking are the BB Cuzzie pods.

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Final Seed tally 376, of which 300 were from 'G1'. The G1 storage roots harvested today did ok also. Over 2kg from the 1 plant , a bit manky as they should ideally have been pulled late March, but seeding went on, an on! No decent roots to speak of, on BB Cuzzie.
Native flowering 'EFR' has decent roots, some up yo 1.6kg (3rd pic). That's us done and dusted for the season - it's been great :-)

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
What a difference a year makes. Last winter my cuttings that were wintered over inside the house barely managed to pull through, this winter so far they are flying through even with flower buds :)
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
BBcuzzie this time last year was so close to dead, this June its flowering. As you have pointed out Mark they do mutate/adapt. 

alps.

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
My god that plant look healthy! I have just bought some of mine in, and will do rest tomo. Been sidetracked with garlic planting, and also have plenty stored roots for slips, then we need to make a plan for the seed Richard.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
That plant is much bigger than when I keep them over winter. I just take cuttings and stick them in plastic drinking cups. Most times by spring they are pretty puny looking. Even cuttings do often keep blooming into early winter. Then the drafty windowsill gets too cold and puts a stop to it.