Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones - New Zealand  (Read 9748 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Looks like a chunkier pod
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Taken a while but now getting flowering on quite a few clones, between my brush and bumblebees hopefully some pollination will happen

Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Should be plenty Bee action Richard, it's sooo dry, bugger all other flowers out for bee food. I have to check for pods at mid day or later, it's almost sticking your hand in a hive, early morning! Also have noted some ants, and lady bugs crawling thru the plants.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
I'm not seeing bees at all, ants though
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
looks to be my first seed pods are forming. Apart from one clone all the camotes are flowering and both clones Chris sent are not either. Having 12 days so far this summer over 30Cdeg has helped kick off good flowering.

Today I tied the flowering clones to some short bamboo sticks so as to keep them above the rambling EFR and Okinawan clones, bit easier for the bumble bees to find the flowers

alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Bumble bees are just brutal on flowers, watching a few buzzing around the flowers on dawn before the flowers had opened fully for the day and one bee couldn't get in so he/she ripped it down the side to get in.
alps.

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Oh Wow! I have seen ripped flowers, and wondered WTF! Well spotted, they love that pollen huh.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
They prefer pumpkin flowers i reckon, watching this morning where the pumpkin flowers had heaps of bees, just the odd one comes over from there
alps.