Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote - New Zealand  (Read 24661 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
So the original EFR is a mutation of the native OR, rather than a descendent? If so that fits with what I've read about them in general and with what I've seen a couple of times.  Research I've done from university breeding programs back into the early 1900s often mentions spontaneous mutation and that it, rather than seed breeding might be responsible for many of the older varieties available in the US.

These mutations supposedly occur any time but are more common in the first few years from a new seed grown plant. Sometimes, according to research, a plant sprouted one year and cloned the next, reverts to the mother genotype. I haven't seen that I don't think, but when starting slips I have seen significantly different phenotypes sprout from the same root.

"The plant is a running type, and has no purple pigment, so has not X'd with BB I assume?" Maybe, maybe not. They seem to me just too unpredictable to make that call, unless unlike me, you grew them in a way that the crossing is more controlled and monitored. Do you have any reason to believe that your EFR could be self compatible?

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Definitely a mutation. I knew nothing of Camotes, or SP breeding, 2 years ago, and was happily growing home garden OR (20 some plants).
Now, when one flowered in January 2019, I googled it, and saw how rare OR flowering was. Then, was put in touch with RW, who supplied BB and G1 in March 2019, and started this journey....No seed that year.
Over wintered G1, BB and EFR to 2020 season and planted out 1 x G1 plant, 1 x BB and 10 x EFR all in a 5m x 5m area (plus a couple Okinawans which did not flower).
Got 12 some seed from EFR, 300 some seed from G1 and 50 from BB.
Sent 80 seed to RW, planted out 300 myself, incl the 12 EFR seed, of which 5 sprouted , in total 50 some plants from seed in 2021 breeding program (plus original EFR and G1)
So , I cant say either way if EFR is self fertile, but I am doing some remote trials this year to test that (one plot is EFR and OR only).
I would have though however, that if EFR was SC, then the roots would be red, not brown? Could just be russeted at surface of course, as have not dug em.

reed

• View Profile
Re: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote - New Zealand
« Reply #392 on: 2021-03-11, 07:01:33 AM »
How are things going with your sweet potatoes down there? Is your season about done? Get lots of seeds and good roots?

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #393 on: 2021-03-11, 09:05:39 AM »
Still a good 6 weeks to go here. Last year I went thru til end May, but due to growing mainly in 5gallon fabric pots, will quit next month, and assess / weigh up each bags worth. Plenty of seed still coming, which reminds me, I must do another harvest today. and get some pics. How you going RW?

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Cfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 9
« Reply #394 on: 2021-03-30, 01:33:44 PM »
My older plants are not producing flowers anymore, seem to have lost there vigour but will still have tubers though. One of the plants that came from your seed Chris is a real  good flowering strong growing plant, the rest have not done much. Plans going forward - ask really nicely if you Chris could share some more seed, get them growing before winter and keep inside the house till spring. Take cuttings from the strong growing plant, and next growing season grow the tubers from Marks seed grown plants to see if they start flowering again.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: 2021-03-30, 07:04:28 PM »
Happy to share some more seed, but do you really think they will germinate now? More likely August again?

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: 2021-03-30, 07:24:46 PM »
I cant see why some wouldn't germinate if they are kept warm, I'm thinking having good sized plants before plant out time in late spring might give me a head start, does anyone see any reason why I cant get some germination now, still warm in tunnelhouse for at least two months
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 2021-03-31, 07:00:01 AM »
I cant see why some wouldn't germinate if they are kept warm, I'm thinking having good sized plants before plant out time in late spring might give me a head start, does anyone see any reason why I cant get some germination now, still warm in tunnelhouse for at least two months

I don't know any reason they wouldn't sprout if it's warm enough. Keeping them in good shape over winter is a different issue for me because I don't have a nice temperature consistent place for them. When I keep them like that they live on a south facing window sill that can get very hot when the wood stove is going and the sun is shining in but it's a bit drafty and can get quite cold at night. According to Sandhill Preservation https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/sweet-potato-growing-information and by my own observation warmth is what sweet potatoes like above pretty much all else. Still when plants get scruffy looking from the cold they perk right back up when it warms up.

One thing though at least for me is they do better started over from a new cutting than by planting with an established root system, especially if it is any thing even a little bit close to root bound in a pot. Seems like they just prefer to start over with a new set of roots. That's especially true for good production but I don't know really how it effects flowers.

I've been doing this for awhile but I still don't know what, other than a genetic inclination for it really causes flowering. I've had plants flower after their first set of true leaves from seed and others that never do it at all.

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: 2021-03-31, 01:42:40 PM »
I really need to harvest some more seed. Next week will have a decent crack at it, having students back from Uni to help! Then the tell-all root harvest from 5gal fabric pots, should be interesting - not much summer left here now.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 2021-03-31, 02:25:57 PM »
I'm real curious how they did in the fabric pots.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #400 on: 2021-03-31, 10:05:00 PM »
Dug up the USA sourced plants and the roots were absolutely pathetic, looks like they had ran out of puff, oh well, at least seed producing batatas are established, North Island at least, just gotta get a South Island line going. 
alps

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 2021-04-01, 08:54:36 AM »
Yep, some don't make much at all as far as usable roots but if they make seeds they can cross or even mutate into ones that do. Were the plants from fresh starts or did they have established roots when planted? They really do produce better form fresh starts.

Richard, how have you done overall in getting seeds in your own garden?

I have a minor disaster with mine. One of my favorites from last year, actually my most favorite may be lost. I accidentally got it's roots mixed up in the ones stored to eat and the only one I have that I'm sure is it is very small and kind of shriveled up on one end. It isn't quite time to start slips but I went ahead and put it in wet sand to see if I might get a sprout or two. My only other option is pick all those with matching skin color and cut them in two and taste. I have read that you can sprout slips from just a portion of a root but have never tried it.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: 2021-04-01, 10:36:14 PM »

Richard, how have you done overall in getting seeds in your own garden?

Nothing yet, I'll keep trucking on though

I have a minor disaster with mine.

Bugger!! You will get one just as good from seed though at least
alps

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 2021-04-02, 07:00:19 AM »
Bugger!! You will get one just as good from seed though at least
Yea, I reckon so. The genes to make it again are probably in my seeds somewhere and I have it's seeds too, although not separately from the rest of last years. Still hate it though, of all the ones I could have screwed up with it had to be, flavor wise, maybe the best sweet potato I've ever tasted.