Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones - New Zealand  (Read 1621 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones
« Reply #30 on: 2019-01-13, 09:52:32 AM »
What you see in the photo was as much as it wanted to open for the rest of day yesterday, today we now have two cooler days coming up so will be interesting to see what effect that has on that flower and the two more that are very close to open.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Richard, how are the babies doing? Any seed capsules developing? I'v been watching your temps some on the web and looks like mostly it's been a little on the cool side.  Sure hope you get some seeds or at least some roots big enough to store till next year and of course you can keep cuttings as house plants too if need be.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
At this stage its only Bushy Bloomer's cousin that's making flowers, the other plants are slowly coming on, another week and they should be close. I got the cotton bud out last evening and poked in and around the inside of one flower, there's only one flower at any one time. Do you need more than one flower? There are still three plants that are showing no sign of flowers, these are growing better than the ones with though, just want the others to start opening there flowers, then I can start to watch what bees come visiting. Photo taken this morning - the brown stuff is coffee grinds, the sorrows were dust bathing and covering the leafs in dust, found that this has stopped them.

Click on the photo for large view 

« Last Edit: 2019-01-19, 12:45:38 PM by Richard Watson »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
This the red skin yellow flesh Kumara I posted earlier and was the one that I let get knocked by frost ( smack hand), I think that this clone shows its acclimatized to some degree because its growing twice as quick as the Camote seedlings. The same Kumara clone has been producing flowers for a guy I know up north which is rare and it only seems to be for him for some reason, I plan to send him some Camote cuttings and hopefully get some more crossing going

reed

• View Profile
Do you need more than one flower?

That's a good question. I have a single example that indicates only one flower is needed but I think it varies a lot. Some plants don't make seeds even if lots of other plants are blooming around them. Of course all the seeds you got came from nicely seedy plants so who knows. I think I included some 2018 seeds in your pack so you might even be a generation ahead of me on how they keep segregating.

If ya can get some crosses to your old more adapted varieties  it should unlock all kinds of new stuff.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
A bloke i know in the North Island has flowers on his purple/red skin Kumara which is very rare, lots of bumblebees have been visiting so he reckons, so who knows, maybe seed?

reed

• View Profile
Sure looks like it. Are all of his plants doing that or just some? Is his climate significantly different that yours?

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Only that one clone is flowering for him. From year to year the weather between us can very quite a bit, he's has had a warmer summer this time around he has missed getting that cloud off the sea that has effected me here more than normal.  This is where he grows - https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Havelock+North/@-39.6652223,176.8162701,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6834f7b0056bc9:0x500ef6143a2caa0!8m2!3d-39.6701993!4d176.8764496?hl=en&authuser=0

Chris Morrison

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Guys, I am the bloke with the flowering reds, in Havelock North.
Thanks for the invite here Richard.
Reed to answer your question, about 4 of 30 odd plants are flowering, mainly at the dryer (top of sloped garden), which I think got quite stressed whilst I was away for 3 weeks at the beach from 12/26 to 1/14. Noticed the flowers shortly after that. They are still popping up, but aborting so guess this clone is self infertile? Awaiting some 'mates' from Richard to see if we can throw some seed. Keep you posted.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Great to see you on here Chris. The cuttings seem to have taken so they can go anytime.

Second bush now has flowers opening and another clone is developing flowers, Ive been out there with cotton buds transferring pollen as I'm not seeing bubble bees visiting the flower, but I think as the number of open flowers increase maybe that will draw them in.  It leaves only two clones outside with no flowers and the two inside the tunnelhouse, the heat wave is week will do wonders for growth

reed

• View Profile
Great to see you on here Chris. The cuttings seem to have taken so they can go anytime.

Second bush now has flowers opening and another clone is developing flowers, Ive been out there with cotton buds transferring pollen as I'm not seeing bubble bees visiting the flower, but I think as the number of open flowers increase maybe that will draw them in.  It leaves only two clones outside with no flowers and the two inside the tunnelhouse, the heat wave is week will do wonders for growth

Richard, do you mean seed grown plants, rather than clones?  Or do you mean you also have some flowers developing on your local ones?

Are the two of you trying to exchange cuttings from your flowering plants? They are very easy to start from cuttings and a stem from a plant in flower does not stop just because you cut it off and root it. Should be pretty easy assuming there is still enough time in your warm season. Even if not a plant or even just a cutting with developing capsules will finish up nicely inside.

Welcome to the party Chris!

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
opps sorry, must better explain. Another of the seed grown clones is starting to produce wee flower buds, just leaves two with no flower buds.

Ive taken cuttings from all the seed grown plants, some even have small buds too, so it would be great if Chris could get open flowers side by side with the Kumara flowers.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
This week could be considered the peak of summer, had two days 30 and 31C - 86F deg, today a little cooler, next day days forecast to be 33C- 91F and 35 95. So plenty of warmth to help flowering, I sat and watched three open flowers two on BB's cousin, which has a amazing number of coming on buds, and one on the plant that least enjoyed the cold start to summer, and is the smallest. There are pumpkins to the right of the bucket, Camote to the left, flowering Skirret flowering further along and poppies in the front, but despite the huge number of bubble bees all around they are showing no sign of interest in the Camote. No/little honey bees around the garden ive noticed, I think I'm going to get a hive of my own.

I can see that there is going to be a period of acclimatization as they have not gone in to rapid growth like they have done for you reed, I think these clones will do a lot better next year as I will winter over all of them so there for I will have a much bigger plant come spring. The Kumara clone I have has done better each year, wish it would bloody flower though.

Photo is linked of storage site so you can click on photo.

Chris- had a look at the cuttings and no roots so ive put some rotting hormone, going to take a bit longer before I can get these to you

« Last Edit: 2019-01-28, 04:58:32 PM by Richard Watson »

reed

• View Profile
This week could be considered the peak of summer, had two days 30 and 31C - 86F deg, today a little cooler, next day days forecast to be 33C- 91F and 35 95. So plenty of warmth to help flowering, I sat and watched three open flowers two on BB's cousin, which has a amazing number of coming on buds, and one on the plant that least enjoyed the cold start to summer, and is the smallest. There are pumpkins to the right of the bucket, Camote to the left, flowering Skirret flowering further along and poppies in the front, but despite the huge number of bubble bees all around they are showing no sign of interest in the Camote. No/little honey bees around the garden ive noticed, I think I'm going to get a hive of my own.

I can see that there is going to be a period of acclimatization as they have not gone in to rapid growth like they have done for you reed, I think these clones will do a lot better next year as I will winter over all of them so there for I will have a much bigger plant come spring. The Kumara clone I have has done better each year, wish it would bloody flower though.

Photo is linked of storage site so you can click on photo.

Chris- had a look at the cuttings and no roots so ive put some rotting hormone, going to take a bit longer before I can get these to you

Richard, BBs cousin is probably actually BBs descendant. Good to see the heavy blooming is carrying through another generation. Your also confirming what we already knew, that they don't like cold. But they are hanging on so it's encouraging that they might be adaptable too it. I barely know what epigenics is but from what I can gather it sounds like it might offer some hope for cold adaption.

Interesting too that some are doing better than others. Does that appear related to color to you? Mine that as I keep on the cold drafty windowsill always look a a bit distressed this time of year but those with purple leaves look best and resume growth first the next spring. 
Maybe cause of your weather it's different but here nothing is needed to help with rooting cuttings, just stick a stem in the dirt, root or not and in a few days it's growing.

Are you fellows trading cones so you both have both flowering types?

Sounds like you need to have talk with your bumblebees, they are by far the best pollinators here. At first they were the only ones but last year I saw other critters too. I had no idea that various insects had to adapt to a new flower, I just figured a flower was a flower too them.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Richard, BBs cousin is probably actually BBs descendant. Good to see the heavy blooming is carrying through another generation. Your also confirming what we already knew, that they don't like cold. But they are hanging on so it's encouraging that they might be adaptable too it. I barely know what epigenics is but from what I can gather it sounds like it might offer some hope for cold adaption.

I used the term 'cousin' generically specking.  These will do a lot better next summer I feel.
Interesting too that some are doing better than others. Does that appear related to color to you? Mine that as I keep on the cold drafty windowsill always look a a bit distressed this time of year but those with purple leaves look best and resume growth first the next spring.

No there is no connection to leaf colour, I'll get some update photos during day and you'll see what's what.
Maybe cause of your weather it's different but here nothing is needed to help with rooting cuttings, just stick a stem in the dirt, root or not and in a few days it's growing.

That makes this more strange, the weather the last few weeks has been well and truly warm enough to get cuttings growing. Ive put a few small stones on some growth stems to maybe get some roots, then i could snip off after

Are you fellows trading cones so you both have both flowering types?

That's a good idea, Chris - your flowering clone might for flower here as well, could I at some stage get a cutting?. Boy am I going to have a house full of clones this winter  ;D

Sounds like you need to have talk with your bumblebees, they are by far the best pollinators here. At first they were the only ones but last year I saw other critters too. I had no idea that various insects had to adapt to a new flower, I just figured a flower was a flower too them.

That's what I'm thinking, its like flower recognition is past down through bubble bee generations, I wonder if I could draw them over 2 metres from the pumpkins with some small pieces of yellow cardboard,could be worth a go? Didn't see any flies going to the flower either.