Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones - New Zealand  (Read 7458 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
reed- question- when you grew in tubs/large pots, did you feed them with anything?. Had someone ask me about growing in pots and where letting them send there roots out the bottom into the ground.
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
reed- question- when you grew in tubs/large pots, did you feed them with anything?. Had someone ask me about growing in pots and where letting them send there roots out the bottom into the ground.

No I don't feed them and I don't worry much about what I fill the pots with*, it's just dirt I take from the garden mixed with rough compost or more likely just some weeds I scraped up. Feeder roots do exit the pots into the ground so it's important not to move them once established and if the pots have drain holes around the sides to make sure those are buried.

They do very well  that way and the pots don't have to be large. Makes harvest super easy, just dump them out. Also gets them up off the ground, a little safer from rabbits. And it helps me select for the clump root trait  I like. If the big roots are all in the pot that's what I want and I'll keep a couple to clone the next year. If they formed off the feeder roots under or around the pot where I have to dig a lot looking for them em we just eat them all.

*I may be changing that this year. Up till now I'v mainly been concerned with seeds and figured feeding might be counterproductive to that. Now I have lots to clone and lots of seeds in back up so thinking it might be time to encourage maximum production and see if they also still make abundant seeds.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-26, 12:25:49 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
That's pretty much what I thought you did. Soil and compost is all I use too, I'm not very garden center friendly as they dont get much $ outa me in there till
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
I ain't spent a penny at a garden center or big box place in years except maybe for an occasional tree. Buying dirt or mulch seems especially ridiculous to me. If I want a more nutritious mix I'll use more finished compost mixed with the dirt, maybe scape up a little bit from surface of the chicken yard. I think stuff from under the roost might be a little too much for sweet potatoes. 
« Last Edit: 2019-11-26, 06:41:57 AM by reed »