Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones - New Zealand  (Read 4946 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones
« Reply #15 on: 2018-11-27, 03:21:53 AM »
Sweet potato seed harvest for 2018 is officially over. The seeds pictured are the last of them, they matured on the cuttings I am keeping on the window sill. Most were already forming when I brought them in but a few were hand pollinated on flowers that bloomed inside. A couple plants are still trying to bloom but the buds abort before opening, too chilly in that drafty window and too much cloudy weather I imagine. I doubt the smaller, browner ones are good.

Those four seeds to the left are very interesting and a mystery of sorts. I just harvested them a few minutes ago. They came from the last good flower, it was all by itself and I did not mess with it. They are certainly selfed but the structure of the flowers is such that pollination is difficult without some physical manipulation. I guess I must have jostled it around enough while watering or something. They came from a plant that made nice sized roots and are the first confirmed self pollination from something other than a stringy root plant.

All the rest of the seeds are stored away, some in the freezer and some in a stainless steel canister two feet in the ground, I know it sounds goofy but their safe. I'm thinking these may be the only ones I plant next year.

I now have eight plants that produce good roots and seeds and I have them all both as windowsill house plants and stored roots. Lots more to do as far as selecting for traits I like and I won't be able to do that if I don't start a lot of seeds but next year it might be better to invest in more new commercial clones and try to increase the diversity first.

« Last Edit: 2019-01-03, 02:41:06 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2018-11-27, 10:10:15 AM »
Sounds like you are making good progress.
So potentially how many commercial clones are available on the market, be lucky to be only 5-6 here.
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2018-11-27, 02:13:33 PM »
Sounds like you are making good progress.
So potentially how many commercial clones are available on the market, be lucky to be only 5-6 here.

Goodness, SandHill Preservation alone has over two hundred I think and I'm guessing another 25, probably more, that I've read about that are not on their list.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2018-11-27, 03:19:44 PM »
 :o never knew there were so many.

The weather this Nov has been crap, cloudy wet and cool, my small plants were just sitting doing nothing more than looking pretty, so ive put a hoophouse over them till this cloud clears away this weekend, so they will be enjoying some warmth today. The summer period starts next week so hopefully this current weather switches to something warmer
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2018-12-06, 12:37:25 PM »
I'm finding this growing of Ipomoea batatas seed is really interesting in that there's like two groups of seed, one that germinates straight away as soon as it's sown, the other much later. Within the first group there's a few weak and slow growing seedlings which in my case which ended turning there toes up and dying. Then there's the seed that doesn't germinate straight away but sits there for a few months before doing so, I have two that have popped up in the last week or so, these are not weak seedlings at all, they had emerged from the soil and had opened out there leaves out dam near over night, i wonder if because they were in pots out in the sun a couple of warm days meant the soil reached a certain temperature triggering them to germinate.   
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2018-12-06, 04:37:56 PM »
I'm finding this growing of Ipomoea batatas seed is really interesting in that there's like two groups of seed, one that germinates straight away as soon as it's sown, the other much later. Within the first group there's a few weak and slow growing seedlings which in my case which ended turning there toes up and dying. Then there's the seed that doesn't germinate straight away but sits there for a few months before doing so, I have two that have popped up in the last week or so, these are not weak seedlings at all, they had emerged from the soil and had opened out there leaves out dam near over night, i wonder if because they were in pots out in the sun a couple of warm days meant the soil reached a certain temperature triggering them to germinate.

I think the heat definitely plays a part. I often just sit the trays with un-sprouted seeds on the ground and forget them after planting the others. They dry out completely, sometimes more than once and right after a rain more sprout. I'v wondered if repeated wet dry cycle triggers sprouting some how. Plus of course, the weather is usually  really heating up by then.

The seeds you have though came from plants that sprouted early and under less than ideal conditions. I guess I am selecting for that cause if I plant 100 seeds I end up with more than plenty to fill my space and generally ignore those late sprouting ones.

The only late sprouters I pay much attention to are volunteers from seed that got lost the prior year. I find those very interesting. From what I understand they are tropical plants and they certainly do not need a cold period. Still they can lay in the ground over winter and volunteer, very, very interesting. the patch got away from me this past year and I'm sure I lost a lot of seeds, probably hundreds, I'll be on look out for volunteers next year for sure.

Some I sent seeds had much higher and faster germination and much higher % germination. I think that is because they used more controlled conditions, especially temperature.  I thought about upgrading my ability do that but decided not too. I like selecting for those that are not so picky. Eventually I want to do mine in unheated cold frame like I do tomatoes.

Actually I imagine the cold frame would work fine already if I waited another couple weeks from when I usually plant. I did a few that way this past spring but did it while it was still pretty cold and only got two or three and all of them, even they grew fine and large  were poor performers as far as root size and blooming go. 

I waste a lot of seeds and ever once in a while feel a little guilty for it, but I'm getting good results and good increase each year, so I get over it.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-06, 07:56:17 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2018-12-06, 09:55:15 PM »
I think in my case its more the temperature differences than soil moisture levels as none of the four pots that have the rest of the none germinated seed were transferred to have dried out not one bit, but being in pots they have likely to have got quite warm after a few lovely day lately, this after a long run of grey cloudy cool days, a typical spring here in New Zealand.
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2019-01-01, 12:21:24 PM »
After a cold start to summer the plants have started to grow well. Certainly quite a range of leaf colours, I really like the purple 

alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2019-01-01, 02:24:03 PM »
Glad to see your seedlings have perked up with warmer weather. Have you noticed any flower buds? Many bloom at that size or even smaller. Here a lot of flowers, buds and young capsules abort during spells of cool cloudy weather so I suppose the same could have delayed it altogether. Bet you have some flowers soon if weather holds.

It was 67 F here yesterday with hard rain so I took my windowsill clones including some of the parent plants of your seeds out for a shower and drink, really perked them up too. I forgot the tags on the pots were just thin paper and cheap tape, noticed just in time to get them copied and replaced.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2019-01-01, 05:11:39 PM »
I'll have a look this afternoon, they've had a good drink this morning as these dry hot winds off the mountains sucks the moisture from the garden, looks to be at least 10 days of warm weather. Might have to look to a netting fence for those that want to climb up something
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2019-01-01, 06:14:19 PM »
Could these be the first bubs, if they are they are only on the purple plant
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2019-01-02, 01:56:59 AM »
Could these be the first bubs, if they are they are only on the purple plant

Yep, I think so. That plant resembles the one I called Bushy Bloomer and some of your seeds came from it. If just that plant blooms by itself at first you'll have opportunity to test for self compatibility. I'm interested in identifying plants that have that but haven't figured a good way to do it yet because I grow too many in too small an area. Actually for now I'm more just interested in what % of them are self compatible. I already know some are.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2019-01-02, 09:54:19 AM »
So I'll watch the flowers for bees an flies to see if any of the local insects do that pollinating
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2019-01-12, 03:18:00 PM »
Another milestone achieved with the first flower open, this purple leaf plant has plenty of flowers to come along with five other plants that should be starting to open within a week. Three plants are showing no signs of flowers, there are also two plants inside, the last to germinate that are in the heat of the tunnelhouse look different to there outside cousins.

« Last Edit: 2019-01-12, 04:56:08 PM by Richard Watson »
alps.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2019-01-13, 04:23:11 AM »
Yea, flowers! Any interested bugs show up yet? You should hand pollinate it and see if maybe it is self compatible. Will be interesting to see how the flowers themselves act in your weather.

Here they all bloom in the morning and fade by afternoon but there is variation. Some are already about open by dawn, some not till a couple hours later. On cloudy or cooler days they may stay open most of the day. This is addressed in some of the papers I'v found, they even talk about the time period where they are receptive to pollination but way too much trouble in my opinion to try document that for each one.

One important thing, if the style remains after the flower drops off then it is probably pollinated but not if the style also falls off.

And, I haven't tracked it exactly but seems like it takes a long time for a seed capsule to mature. Once you have some forming I'll post a picture of what a nicely formed one looks like.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-13, 04:27:44 AM by reed »