Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones - New Zealand  (Read 3318 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Two weeks ago I tipped out the pots that I was growing the cuttings in, gave some away and then took the best single cuttings of each clone for re-potting, given them good sized pots so they have plenty of room to get through to spring. These have only just gone into the tunnelhouse and will be enjoying the warmth against the north facing wall that's still warm from summer, when if winter arrives they can be shifted inside the house. 

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
They are pretty easy to keep over winter like that, don't really need much space. I keep mine in pots no bigger than a large plastic drinking cup, that way they don't take up too much room and I don't catch too much grief for gardening in the kitchen all winter. A good south or I guess in your case north facing window is all ya need. I keep them on the dry side too, even with good light and warm it's easy to get rot if they are too wet.

If your tunnel house stays above 10 all the time they will be fine, but will get pretty poorly looking below that.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Its only a single skin plastic so it gets close to freezing when it like -5-6degC outside, they dont like that sorta cold. BBcuzzie is still producing flower buds which I reckon it might carry on through winter. And we have eaten a few tubers too which have been very nice tasting.

Steve1

• View Profile
Hi All,
Well done Richard and Reed.
For the Australians (Gregg, Raymondo and others as well) who are sweet potato cultivar poor and want to have a go, send me a PM. A mate has been collecting them for a number of years. Some he got from the Queensland sweet potato repository. I'm going to hit him up for samples of as many as I can get, he grows large amounts - so I should be able to sort small tubers without any problems. He's keen for some people to work on this too.
I did have a crack at some hand pollinations 3 or 4 years ago on some of his varieties, but it was in Autumn and was likely to cold and wet and I had no success. I was playing with 3 or 4 CV's at that time.
I'm going to get cracking on this come summer too now I have space.

Cheers
Steve