Author Topic: TPS 2019  (Read 2432 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: TPS 2019
« Reply #60 on: 2019-08-18, 12:05:55 AM »
Ive started TPS about a month ago, two lots, one from some berries off La Ratte but none came up which was disappointing. The other seed came from seed given to me by a friend who has been taking berries from his plants for 30+ years, so, looking forward to what shows up in 6 months or so.
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2019-08-18, 01:08:32 AM »
That's good to know Bill, thanks! I was half way expecting that, but had some hope that they were actually testing it.

jocelyn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: 2019-08-18, 03:48:35 AM »
So, how about the Ag Canada database, and the USDA spud database?  Are they also trialed under monoculture conditions, or mixed plantings?
I've been playing, under difficulties, with spuds from a probable Russian Blue.  Pollen parents are whatver I decide on at that moment, grin.
My time in the spud patch has been limited due to caregiving at the moment.  Some of my seed is open pollinated.  Seed parent is certain, as I bag the plants when the berries are getting close, so the critters don't carry off the fruits, grumble, grumble, growl:(
Right now, I have a line of blue foliaged, very furry leaved plants that the beetles don't eat unless they are really hungry.
Some of the spuds are blue fleshed, some blue peel only.  All have decent health in a bad blight year.  There are some whites too, no bitter taste.
I'm looking through dtabases, looking for other spuds to breed them with............

Rebsie Fairholm

• Cheltenham, England
    • View Profile
    • Daughter of the Soil
« Reply #63 on: 2019-08-19, 04:45:43 AM »
Maybe bribing the potato fairy with buttered mash wasn't such a silly idea ;D
I love that idea!

There do seem to be so many variables that affect flower fertility and berry setting, it's hard to make any judgement on what will work and what won't, even in the same garden from one year to the next. I had a couple of self-pollinated berries one time on a variety which produces only dry, misshapen anthers ... while another variety which has been used in many past crosses won't set a single fruit for me. The only thing we can do really is keep trying stuff, collect data, not give up hope and be very very patient.
Daughter of the Soil : suburban garden, south-west England

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2019-08-19, 01:50:53 PM »
 ;D
Now if I just could find out how to make the carrot fairy happy.
My carrots need help this year lol

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2019-08-19, 10:01:57 PM »
The largest of my 3 potato seedlings was dying so I pulled it. No blossoms this year, and apparently no potatoes either. Not even little ones. So I guess I try again next year.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2019-09-12, 10:29:40 AM »
So I dug a couple of potatoes yesterday, that came up in the wrong spot and were dying down and so were removed as part of general clean up. One of them was actually quite interesting! I *think* it must be a seedling, because while the skin is russet (like Burbank) there were a few potatoes with odd knobby shapes, like Pink Fir Apple. It produced very few potatoes in spite of having lots of space, and attempted to produce a number of potatoes above ground on the stems. Just strange! Obviously not a keeper in and of itself. However, apart from the Blue Russians which produce buckets of seed balls under every condition, it was about the only potato to produce a generous 6 or 8 decent sized seed balls. We will definitely grow out some of the seeds, and maybe hang onto the parent for another year too.

Has anybody seen this tendency to want to make "air" potatoes before?

nathanp

• View Profile
    • Kenosha Potato Project - Facebook page
« Reply #67 on: 2019-09-13, 07:14:41 PM »
Aerial tubers are a sign that the stem or roots of the plant is damaged.  They can be saved for future seed tubers if large enough, but it is probably not a heritable trait.
« Last Edit: 2019-09-13, 08:10:02 PM by nathanp »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2019-09-13, 07:32:42 PM »
Ah, thank you. That's helpful. I wonder if maybe it is one of the Russet Burbanks. I didn't see how a seedling could have gotten into that spot. So, if for some reason the roots were damaged and the plant was stressed that might explain both the few and oddly shaped roots and the production of seed balls. At any rate, I'll be saving those seeds.

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 02:27:11 AM »
I had some aerial tubers here and there on most varieties. For me they are mainly caused by slugs, they appear when the stems are eaten. Lots of slugs this year due to all the rain... just good I didn't grow much salad lol

We are getting the first ground frosts now and first air frost in the morning is close. Most mornings are around 2C now. Potato season is officially over. I'm harvesting and screening the TPS seedlings now.

The Unknown Early TPS were rubbish, they were badly affected by the cold and wet start of the season and I discarded all of them. No keepers.

The Linda TPS were indeed pollinated by something blue. They were ok, but nothing too special. I'll keep two fluffy starchy ones to see how they are doing next year, but they are probably no long term keepers.

The Heiderot F2 TPS were cool because of very even colour distribution through the potato flesh. They almost stayed the same colour when cooked. I'm keeping 2 with good colour that seem to be starchy but still firm.

The pictures have the raw potatoes on top and the cooked result below. Linda TPS: yellow fleshed long and the blueish one, Heiderot F2: purple and blue round ones.