Author Topic: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones  (Read 255 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
I'm only a resent participant in what is and will be an fascinating project me given the level of diversity that has shown up thus far for a few members who are already two of three years down the track. Ive added the name Camote as this is the name the Facebook group that I started among a number of New Zealand growers, it separates any new clones from the non-flowering heirloom Kumara clones that have been grown here since before European colonization. 

So far I have nine seedlings that are doing ok, though two of them are slower growing than the rest, still about till end of frost season and plant out time. 
« Last Edit: 2018-10-11, 11:33:11 PM by Richard Watson »

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Ipomoea batatas - breeding of Sweet Potato - Camote clones
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-13, 09:33:13 AM »
This post is mostly to see how posting pictures works on the new forum.

looks like you still need to host the image elsewhere. All I see now is the code,maybe I need to hit post.

Yep, that appears to work, looks like I need to adjust the size some though. I'll do that in future. I apologize for putting that ugly writing on my pictures but I don't have any permits to be transferring live plant material across state or national boundaries, plus I don't want to. I'v had unsolicited communication from people I don't know about that, so I want my position on it to always be clear.

That picture shows  some whole plants with everything removed except some stems with maturing seed capsules. Also there in the bottle some capsules just on their stems. This seems to work pretty good to squeeze out a few more seeds at end of season. Most that are at least 1/2 size of a mature capsule will finish up fine this way.

I have traded or gifted some seeds in the past and may still be open to that in future but probably not this season. I want to build my own stock to the point I might be able to offer a sweet potato grex under the OSSI pledge. Exception is two people from HG I'v promised seed two. I have your addresses and since you are both in the northern hemisphere I'm not in a big hurry to get them sent off but you will get them before you need them.

I'm writing up a synopsis of my experience with sweet potatoes over last 5 years and what I'v learned along the way in a word processor. I'll come back and paste it in a new post later.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-13, 10:09:29 AM by reed »

Mike Jennings

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-13, 10:19:40 AM »
This is my first year growing True Sweet Potato Seeds (TSPS). I received seeds from Reed which, I think, came from a cross between an ornamental sweet potato and couple of heirloom clones known to flower reliably. The result has been a very prolific seed producing line.

My plants are still producing lots of seed, so Iím holding off harvesting the roots. I have culled a few that were not producing seeds, though. So far, they have all had pink skin and white flesh, which is not really what Iím looking for. They were tasty enough, though. One was a tiny bit fibrous. I am told that there are also orange and purple flesh types in this genepool as well. Some plants are bushy, some viney. It seems like about 30% flower profusely. I wonder if we can increase that % through selection?

Sweet potato is a hexaploid and usually self-incompatible, so there should be a lot of genetic diversity that will come out of these seeds. I am working on adding to it this year, with a few purple fleshed heirlooms that have flowered and produce seed alongside the seed grown plants. Presumably, they all crossed with each other. The seed grown plants have the valuable trait of beginning to flower during the longest days of the year. I suspect some of the early flowering genes may have come from the ornamental sweet potato. The heirlooms didnít begin flowering until a month or 2 later.

My main goal with this project, besides finding some promising new clones to grow in future seasons, is to produce lots of seeds to share with collaborators. I live in a climate where sweet potatoes grow very well, but for those in cool, short season climates, true seeds will be essential for adapting this valuable staple crop.

I sowed a total of 18 seeds in early March. 15 seedlings were vigorous enough plant out in early May. 5 seed-grown plants have flowered profusely and are producing lots of seed. As of today, I estimate that I have collected around 600 seeds! Iím pretty happy with that.

(Not sure why one photo is upside-down and the other is not. They were both righways up on my computer.)
« Last Edit: 2018-10-13, 03:13:05 PM by Mike Jennings »

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-13, 04:37:14 PM »
This is awesome.  Sweet potato breeding has really taken off the past few years.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-10-14, 03:13:16 AM »
Some comments on Mike's post and a little more.

"I received seeds from Reed which, I think, came from a cross between an ornamental sweet potato and couple of heirloom clones known to flower reliably."
-That is kind of sort of how it happened. The first time I saw seeds they came from a purple ornamental. *they were selfed* and I have confirmed self compatibility again since then.
-The second time I got seeds they came primarily from the heirloom clones and the G1 plants from the selfed seeds.
-The G1 plants themselves looked almost identical to the parent, bloomed even more and made comparatively FEW seeds. Weird huh?

Because of the phenotypes that showed up later I am sure however that the G1s did provide a lot of pollen to the heirlooms, however the heirlooms had set seed before the G1s bloomed so some seeds were between the heirlooms. Or mabey some of those were also selfed? Who knows but plants of apparently identical phenotype to each heirloom also showed up later as well as lots of new ones.

"I am told that there are also orange and purple flesh types in this genepool as well. Some plants are bushy, some viney. It seems like about 30% flower profusely. I wonder if we can increase that % through selection?"

- Roughly for meit is the same range, about 30% flower profusely but out of those some do not make seeds.  Very roughly, maybe 10%, flower profusely, make plenty of seeds, AND make nice roots. Out of those I guess 25% are the sweet orange/orange roots and one so far is my personal favorite sweet PURPLE/ORANGE. ***the amount of cool stuff is going up each generation!!! not necessarily in number but the cool factor.

- I think about anything might be possible through selection but it would take a massive effort.
- These plants are ridiculously diverse and variable. Phenotypes wildly different from any of the parent generations such as all white roots, all purple roots and massive vines have showed up.
-** their reported tendency to mutate, especially in early generations is also confirmed. I have seen two examples so far of different root color from slips off the same root. I have little doubt that these mutations also occur in all other areas, such as seediness, self compatibility and so on.

the seed grown plants have the valuable trait of beginning to flower during the longest days of the year. I suspect some of the early flowering genes may have come from the ornamental sweet potato. The heirlooms didnít begin flowering until a month or 2 later

- I have seen no correlation between flowering and day length at all.
- I had a plant this year that flowered at it's first set of true leaves, mid May. It grew into a massive, stunningly beautiful vine with huge amounts of flowers,  5% at best of the flowers produced seeds. Maybe a particular other plant growing too far away contributed the pollen it needed? Again who knows? It made NO large roots at all.
- Seed production seems to be better in later part of summer but I think it's related to the heat and dryness, fewer flowers abort when it's hot. Many flowers and young capsules abort during cool wet spells.

Mike, I'm not surprised you had good success at getting seeds, the more northern folks I'v heard from, not surprisingly, were less successful but they did get some seeds and some decent sized roots.  Still, a lot of work to be done there.

« Last Edit: 2018-10-14, 03:21:04 AM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
« Reply #5 on: 2018-10-14, 01:31:15 PM »
Just an observation, this morning i noticed on the right my fastest growing seeding which is in the smaller of the two sized pots has yet to grow roots out the bottom when compared to the one on left, I'm wondering if this could be a sign of a shallower tuber forming clone. I'll tag the seedlings with longer roots and see what happens later. 

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2018-10-14, 04:06:59 PM »
Richard, I have noticed that when they first sprout some grow faster above and some below the ground. It reminded me of Carol Deppe's discussion of the same phenomenon in corn. If I remember right, for corn she regarded root development first, as positive, cause it helped resist being pulled up by birds.

For sweets I have no clue if it is related to what I call the "clump root" trait of if one or the other is in any way positive. If you keep track of it though I'll be interested in how it comes out cause now that you mention it, early root development might easily be related to mature root type.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-14, 04:09:11 PM by reed »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
« Reply #7 on: 2018-10-14, 10:26:41 PM »
I will be keeping track, in fact i might get a note book and jot down all these wee traits, who knows, maybe this could be a sign of shallower tuber forming.

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2018-10-17, 04:46:46 AM »
Another attempt to get pictures right. It shows one of my first confirmed mutations. It grew from a shriveled up orange/orange root that was discarded after taking slips. All the other slips came out the same as the parent root but this one came out pink/oranage.

Umm, Its 800 pixels wide but still have to scroll horizontal, don't like that. Anybody know how to fix it? Could just trim it down to 700 or 600 I reckon.

The synopsis of my adventure with sweet potatoes is turning into more of a book. Might be awhile till its done.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-17, 04:54:46 AM by reed »

Oxbow Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2018-10-17, 04:54:43 AM »
It looks right to me.  I don't have to scroll on my screen.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
« Reply #10 on: 2018-10-17, 09:07:36 AM »

You could add code like this to the img tag to set the size of the image: width=xxx height=xxx

Code: [Select]
[img width=640 height=480]http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1951/30442688417_3e71d92b39_b.jpg[/img]
I have modified the code to make that the default for future linked images. Clicking on the image will display it full sized.

« Last Edit: 2018-10-17, 09:13:55 AM by Joseph Lofthouse »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
« Reply #11 on: 2018-10-17, 12:14:52 PM »
Another attempt to get pictures right. It shows one of my first confirmed mutations. It grew from a shriveled up orange/orange root that was discarded after taking slips. All the other slips came out the same as the parent root but this one came out pink/oranage.

Umm, Its 800 pixels wide but still have to scroll horizontal, don't like that. Anybody know how to fix it? Could just trim it down to 700 or 600 I reckon.

The synopsis of my adventure with sweet potatoes is turning into more of a book. Might be awhile till its done.

The size you posted is also good for me, though i notice the size of the photo in the quotes become smaller
« Last Edit: 2018-10-17, 12:16:38 PM by Richard Watson »

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
« Reply #12 on: 2018-10-28, 10:10:43 PM »
Had a couple of cold nights close to freezing and cool days 12C highs, so the Camote seedlings that ive had planted outside wouldn't be gaining much growth, even though they still look nice and green apart from the purple leaf seedling, thought they may as well be covered over with some plastic that was over a bed of tomatoes, they dont really need it any longer.

From front to the back in the photo is garlic as aside for yet another TGS attempt, second bed in Medbury red onions, the larger bed is for a new pumpkin grex to be planted in to last summers corn residue with a coupe of wheelbarrow loads chucked on top , behind that the Camote, next Dartmoor Brussels Sprouts flowering and strangely one plant that not, then Benhorn carrot with insect net against carrot fly.
Click on photo to enlarge
« Last Edit: 2018-10-28, 10:20:00 PM by Richard Watson »

reed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2018-11-12, 03:03:55 PM »
I was cleaning out my camera and came across these pictures. The first one is interesting I think cause it shows how much diversity is in sweet potatoes. Don't remember if I posted it on HG or not. Anyway it shows some root color phenotypes that don't match any of the original parents. ONE original parent of these plants was orange/orange the other were ALL purple/white but you can see these don't match that. And this is just some of those that showed up different than the ancestors. As always no plant material is for sale or trade but these are all extinct anyway. The two on the left cause of the disease or bug damage and the two on the right cause they didn't make seed. Actually the far left one does match a parent type.

The second picture is what I regard as a Grade A sweet potato seed. Perfectly formed, nice dark color. Lighter brown ones and smaller ones do sprout but I think this is what they are supposed ot look like. Sorry nothing for scale but they are bigger than 1/8 inch,smaller than a 1/4.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
« Reply #14 on: 2018-11-12, 09:38:36 PM »
Nice looking seed alright.