Author Topic: Breeding Goldini Zucchini Podcast  (Read 4592 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Breeding Goldini Zucchini Podcast
« Reply #15 on: 2020-03-07, 04:48:12 PM »
Andrew, Sandhill is still online and when I checked under breeder the musk melon is still there.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • Pea Breeding, Watermelon x Citron-melon, Purple Foliage Corn, Wild Tomatoes
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfc / Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: 5b
« Reply #16 on: 2020-03-08, 04:03:48 PM »
Andrew, Sandhill is still online and when I checked under breeder the musk melon is still there.

hmm. okay. my mistake then.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2021-01-16, 01:06:28 PM »
I don't want to get in the middle of Carol's business, other than to say that she is OK and there is no question in my mind that there is no fraud going on.  I have no doubt that she will get things sorted out, even if it is taking much longer than expected.

Before a variety can be pledged, it must be available in some form, whether that means that the breeder is handing it out or a seed company is offering it.  There is no requirement on duration, so some things get offered for one year and never again.  One benefit of having them open source is that anyone is welcome to pick up varieties and offer them if they are worth keeping on the market.

There is no centralized or long term storage of OSSI varieties, although we are looking into a possible mechanism for distributing varieties that otherwise wouldn't be available.  That is not likely to happen quickly.  Having the OSSI potentially become a competitor to the mostly small seed growers who pledge varieties is a tricky subject and has so far be strongly resisted.

Trying to get the OSSI board a little more engaged with social media has been a recent subject at our board meetings.  Part of the problem is that the age of the board skews older and many of us are not really social media users at all.  I hope that we'll see a little improvement in the future.  I have to admit that I have been part of the problem as well and have good intentions to post more here.

Does anyone have seed for "Goldini"? It seems this still has not been sorted out and this open source variety has basically been officially lost and is already in the process of trying to be recreated. I guess in some ways the source being the known parentage could see it recreated from scratch.

https://alanbishop.proboards.com/thread/9498/creating-goldini-sandwich-slice-squash

For something I might breed however it is likely that the source material would be hard to find and not a standard variety, perhaps not a variety at all if wild material. In that case, my work could not as easily be recreated.

Without someone saving seeds as a backup source I kind of don't see the point of even having an OSSI board.

If I develop an open source variety,  why should i go through the tedious process to get it approved? Why should i rely on a board that is aging as you say? This business with Carol, though it did not affect me is still troubling after all this time. I've seen others of an older generation with rare seeds on other forums just disappear and those seeds are lost as well.

Perhaps this is why Alan Kapuler has resisted open source and has instead gone the public domain route. Makes one think.

Since goldini is no longer available in some form as the original requirement to get it pledged, does that mean we should revoke its status as an open source pledged variety? In some ways I think yes as it would be awful to have dozens of varieties in the list of pledged material that no one can find available. I can see this system breaking down in say 10 years if that were to happen.

I'm not trying to pick on Carrol or bill,  more I think this needs to be discussed before it becomes a bigger problem.

In other news,  one person MIGHT still have seed for it.

https://m.facebook.com/watershedfarmNS/posts/2861877270495143

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #18 on: 2021-01-16, 01:22:45 PM »
Does anyone have seed for "Goldini"? It seems this still has not been sorted out and this open source variety has basically been officially lost and is already in the process of trying to be recreated. I guess in some ways the source being the known parentage could see it recreated from scratch.

https://alanbishop.proboards.com/thread/9498/creating-goldini-sandwich-slice-squash

For something I might breed however it is likely that the source material would be hard to find and not a standard variety, perhaps not a variety at all if wild material. In that case, my work could not as easily be recreated.

Without someone saving seeds as a backup source I kind of don't see the point of even having an OSSI board.

If I develop an open source variety,  why should i go through the tedious process to get it approved? Why should i rely on a board that is aging as you say? This business with Carol, though it did not affect me is still troubling after all this time. I've seen others of an older generation with rare seeds on other forums just disappear and those seeds are lost as well.

Perhaps this is why Alan Kapuler has resisted open source and has instead gone the public domain route. Makes one think.

Since goldini is no longer available in some form as the original requirement to get it pledged, does that mean we should revoke its status as an open source pledged variety? In some ways I think yes as it would be awful to have dozens of varieties in the list of pledged material that no one can find available. I can see this system breaking down in say 10 years if that were to happen.

I'm not trying to pick on Carrol or bill,  more I think this needs to be discussed before it becomes a bigger problem.

In other news,  one person MIGHT still have seed for it.

The comments on that Facebook post say that seed will be available from them this year. That comment was a month ago. Might be a good idea to have multiple people watching over certain varieties/offspring.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • My blog
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2021-01-16, 02:10:52 PM »
The comments on that Facebook post say that seed will be available from them this year. That comment was a month ago. Might be a good idea to have multiple people watching over certain varieties/offspring.

yes, maybe a solution could be to have listed seed stewards with the OSSI seed info. For example, a variety named "Example 1 Squash" could list that it is stewarded by me in colorado and someone named john doe in New Zealand or something like that. If a variety is new and there are no seed stewards and no companies that are known to sell it, perhaps a warning should go out with the pledge papers to whoever requests seed to grow that they are currently the only ones growing it and to try and save seed for at least 5 years. I don't know. Just an idea. Not sure if it would work.

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2021-01-17, 10:26:45 AM »
as @andrew pointed on Alanbishop board (edit: and here yesterday, damn i missed the updates on the thread), some seeds maybe available to canadians at the end of the month on https://www.seedtoseed.ca/

I hope some of you will be able to buy seeds and propagate this promising cultivar

« Last Edit: 2021-01-17, 10:29:17 AM by Nicollas »

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #21 on: 2021-01-17, 05:49:38 PM »
Noticed that someone made a post on Permies about Carol's "Bigger Better Butternut Squash" seeds for sale. https://www.seedwise.com/listing/910/bigger-better-butternut#.YATXTmlOlPx
 Seems to be the only source for it right now - besides seed trades, probably because it was never offered on Carol's site. Hopefully everything is well with her, I never had the chance to actually try out any of her seed - other than sweet meat from a grocery store packet. Her books seem nice as well. I have seen a few pages from "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties", might actually buy it soon as well.
 I have bought a few different varieties of zucchini just to grow out and allow random hybridization, probably some intentional crosses as well.

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2021-02-02, 11:54:20 PM »
Goldini is available for sale to canadians : https://www.seedtoseed.ca/product/goldini/

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2021-02-03, 10:29:32 AM »
Thank you, Nicholas.  I have ordered a packet and there are several left.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil