Author Topic: My zucchini varieties  (Read 1041 times)

rowan

• Southern Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
My zucchini varieties
« on: 2018-10-11, 10:53:25 PM »
I have one zucchini variety registered with OSSI and as soon as this one it stable it will be going on too. This is 'Rascal'. The original parents were 'Golden' and 'Zephyr F1'. Out of that cross I found one seedling that was blue and yellow, rather than green and yellow, which got me all excited as I don't think blue colouration is found in C.pepo, but unfortunately I could never get the blue back in subsequent generations. I really wasn't drunk, it WAS blue and yellow.

I have got the plants themselves stable but the colour is a different matter. Each year I try something new to try and get a higher percentage of bi-coloured fruits and although the percentage is rising, I am not there yet. I am trying a couple of different ways to weed out the genes that are causing the problem (damn, can't think of the right term for those genes right at this moment).

Of course, the taste. It is nothing special, about the same as supermarket zucchini, and not nearly as good as Caesar (the one I have listed with OSSI) but everyone loves the colour and I have had market gardeners at my farm open days tell me I have to let them know when it is released.

Anyway I hope that in the next three years or so it will be ok to list.

--------------------------------
Garden Larder:  www.gardenlarder.com.au

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: My zucchini varieties
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-11, 11:03:14 PM »
An interesting project Rowan, the visual appeal seems to mean so much more than taste these days.
Changeable year round climate, less so summertime, warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

bill

• Administrator
  • USA, WA Coast
    • View Profile
    • Cultivariable
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-11, 11:10:35 PM »
Cool.  We experience food through at least four senses, so it makes sense to breed to please all of them.

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-11, 11:11:52 PM »
Yes unfortunately. I do try to select for flavour over some other considerations usually but since this is no worse than people are already used to I have kept it. I will probably work with it to improve the flavour at some point when I have the time and space - too many projects, too little time and help, lol.

PhilaGardener

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-10-12, 04:03:15 AM »
Really great appearance to those fruit, Rowan!
Growing near Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oxbow Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-10-14, 03:52:28 AM »
That's a really interesting zuke, I like how it has the bicolor without the faded pastel effect that is always there on Zephyr.

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-10-16, 05:17:06 AM »
Hi Rowan ,
As a fellow Australian , and market gardener please let me know when you are releasing this, I would love to trial it for you. I grow a few hundred zuc plants each season I could do some selection for you.
"Maybe" said the farmer...

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2018-10-16, 12:33:52 PM »
Thanks Nick. If you email me it will be easier to keep you in mind as I am likely to forget about this forum post. I have some interest from other market gardeners but someone who has the interest to trial it before I publicly release it would be great.

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-10-16, 01:52:27 PM »
Same goes for me Rowan. Happy to trial it for you in our market garden. We donít grow as many as Nick but can easily manage 30 or so plants at a time.
Ray
Mildly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone; temperate climate modified by altitude (1000m); avg rainfall 780mm; usually wet summers and dry winters.

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2018-10-16, 03:09:32 PM »
Still working out the modifying genes so it is a couple of years away but keep in touch :) I will eventually get there.