Author Topic: Salsify  (Read 1131 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Salsify
« Reply #45 on: 2019-05-09, 02:14:23 PM »
I reckon I could dig up a wild plant or two to see what the root looks like, but I suppose it wouldn't be good to eat being in it's second season? Also just thought if there are non-blooming first year plants they should be nearby. Think I'll take along a shovel over the weekend ans see what I find.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: 2019-05-09, 02:54:35 PM »
Ive not wanted to stop to check the roadside plants till now, though it would be interesting to see how well the root would turn out from wild seed if grown in my free draining deep soil instead the hard dry road side soils.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2019-05-10, 05:45:48 AM »
I'm all about adopting anything wild that can be food. I don't even care if it isn't the biggest or best, if it grows without help and all I go to do is harvest it then I want all I can get. And like you say if it grows at all in the nasty gravel along roads it might do real good with a little cultivation. Actually though the biggest patch I'm watching is well off the road competing with tall grass and other weeds, that's the patch I where I hope to find some first year plants to dig up. I'll just collect seeds form the roadside plants.