Author Topic: Good Tomato material for dehybridization  (Read 895 times)

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
Good Tomato material for dehybridization
« on: 2018-11-25, 11:47:02 PM »
From https://frogsleapfarm.blogspot.com/2018/11/introgression-of-traits-from-commercial.html

The best of these new hybrids tasted as good as or better than our best heirloom-derived lines, with generally improved fruit quality characteristics.  The first generation hybrids are cherry to saladette size Ė larger fruited types are a year or two behind.  The initial crosses were designed to generate breeding lines segregating for fruit color and stripes, so a diversity in fruit color, shape and size will be available in these new hybrid products.

In parallel we have been working on improving shelf life by selection per se, and by incorporating mutant alleles of RIN or NOR - key genes regulating fruit ripening in tomatoes.  Extended shelf life (XSL reference) will be a key feature of several of our new Cream of the Crop TomatoTMmultiple pest resistant hybrids. 

So this seems good material to select for disease resistances and flavor. Or to use as parent to cross with heirloom tomatoes.

Some lines are available, and have won AAS awards : https://awhaley.com/product-tag/cream-of-the-crop/

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good Tomato material for dehybridization
« Reply #1 on: 2018-11-26, 06:06:03 AM »
Frogsleap farm made an announcement that they were retiring, so I wonder how easy it is to even get those lines now.

But even so, i am slightly sceptical if the RIN and NOR genes. I don't know much about them,  but if they are anything like the U uniform ripening gene I don't want them. I would rather have the green shoulder gene which improves flavor in tomatoes a ton. My Anasazi line has the green shoulder gene and despite heavy cracking it is currently my favorite because it tastes good and grows well enough for me. I could care less about self life if flavor is sacrificed.

But hybrids with new colors and stripes are always fun. And I like the idea of crossing heirlooms together to get new lines to or to use them to breed new material that both tastes good but also grows well and resists some disease more than heirloom parents. Wild Boar Farms might be a good place to contact. I emailed him awhile back and he was mildly interested in the wild tomato breeding project.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-11-26, 08:20:42 AM »
This could be pretty cool material to work with if it's got good late blight resistance. Doesn't really give great details about the resistance on those listed varieties.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-11-26, 11:01:47 AM »
Seems that only cultivars tagged XSL contains RIN or NOR

Nicollas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-11-26, 11:06:41 AM »
About resistances

From https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1583036365152637&id=962524457203834&comment_id=1583583485097925

Tm2a, Ty1, Sw5, I2, I3, Ve, Cf9, Ve, Ph2, Ph3 and Mi - all for pest resistance so far here. It looks like there is progress in identifying markers associated with flavor - that will be exciting. Our selection for flavor has been strictly phenotypic.

Edit: it seems that this batch of cultivars was made before selection by genetic markers
« Last Edit: 2018-11-26, 12:35:12 PM by Nicollas »

Ilex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-22, 04:24:23 PM »
Don't use RIN or NOR, use alc instead. Unless you want those round plastic balls.

esoteric_agriculture

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-04-23, 02:36:59 PM »
Am I right in thinking that anthocyanin tomatoes can show greatly extended post harvest keeping potential? Iím fairly certain this is a real thing with papers and such out there. For example Iíve grown Blue Beauty, which will keep easily 7-10 days longer than any other good tasting, non commercial type tomato, plus it tastes great, in my top 2-5 favorite tomatoes. So, would breeding for anthocyanin potentially get you better keepers with good flavor, without some of the unpleasant genes commercial tomatoes seem to incorporate?
Very deep mildly acidic clay loam with abundant sandstone and quartzite gravel and stones. Very high water table, Border of Koppen climate Oceanic and Humid Subtropical, USDA Zone 6b, very windy frost pocket valley at the foot of a lonely mountain, historic dairy and orchard county.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-04-23, 03:08:49 PM »
Am I right in thinking that anthocyanin tomatoes can show greatly extended post harvest keeping potential? Iím fairly certain this is a real thing with papers and such out there. For example Iíve grown Blue Beauty, which will keep easily 7-10 days longer than any other good tasting, non commercial type tomato, plus it tastes great, in my top 2-5 favorite tomatoes. So, would breeding for anthocyanin potentially get you better keepers with good flavor, without some of the unpleasant genes commercial tomatoes seem to incorporate?

Maybe. It's a logical thought anyway. Blue tomatoes seem to take longer to ripen,  but I'm not sure if that's necessarily a keeping quality or a side effect of basically being a sunscreen and preventing sun ripening.

There is some debate whether anthocyanins are linked to bitter flavor compounds or are slightly bitter themselves,  but with the newer blue tomato hybrids I think it was just a matter of genetic drag and other poor flavor genetics. I personally don't think there is much of correlation,  but perhaps my taste bud genetics are different than others.

I personally want to try combing a blue with green shoulders.  Can't remember if I've seen that already.

esoteric_agriculture

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-04-23, 03:52:36 PM »
Found this journal article- anthocyanin does extend shelf life.  :)
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0205650
Very deep mildly acidic clay loam with abundant sandstone and quartzite gravel and stones. Very high water table, Border of Koppen climate Oceanic and Humid Subtropical, USDA Zone 6b, very windy frost pocket valley at the foot of a lonely mountain, historic dairy and orchard county.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2019-04-23, 03:58:37 PM »
If I can keep it straight and remember to collect the seed separate. I wouldn't be surprised if I already have an green shoulder with blue skin in my segregating F2 populations. I think that showed up last year in the Blue Ambrosia x multiple unknown red's F1s
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days