Author Topic: Parching Hull-less Pepo  (Read 649 times)

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
    • Email
Parching Hull-less Pepo
« on: 2018-11-22, 03:35:11 PM »
So for a few seasons I have been growing "Kakai" Hull-less pumpkin.
This season by accident I discovered they parch really well and fast! and have a delicious nutty flavour once done so!
I am not sure if others are aware of this? but I encourage others to try! It adds alot more appeal and options to this already great pumpkin. I am not sure if other Varieties of the Hull-less types parch well or at all?   
"Maybe" said the farmer...

Carol Deppe

• View Profile
    • caroldeppe.com
Re: Parching Hull-less Pepo
« Reply #1 on: 2018-11-22, 04:06:03 PM »
In my experience, all hulless pumpkin or squash seeds parch nicely. However, Kaikai seeds have an unusually delicious flavor both raw or parched. By comparison, for example, Styrian Hulless seeds are pretty flavorless. That's probably ideal if you are growing the seeds to extract oil for cooking. However, for eating the seeds straight, it's like eating little blobs of Crisco.

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-11-23, 01:05:58 AM »
Iíve been wanting to add a good oil seed to my diet. Sounds like Kakai are worth a try. Iíve grown a few of the hulless pepo pumpkins but have been underwhelmed by the flavour, unless they are roasted in something like tamari sauce! I like sunflower seeds but they are too much trouble to thresh. Poppy seeds make things look grey, most unappealing. Iím growing sesame this season but donít hold out much hope. Apparently itís a desert tropical - loves the heat and hates water. Brassica seeds have a place but they donít work well with muesli and yoghurt!
Ray
Mildly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone; temperate climate modified by altitude (1000m); avg rainfall 780mm; usually wet summers and dry winters.

Carol Deppe

• View Profile
    • caroldeppe.com
« Reply #3 on: 2018-11-23, 01:43:34 AM »
Yeah, Kaikai seeds would go great with yogurt. Wouldnt require roasting or popping first either. Delicious and flavorful just raw.

Nicholas Locke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-11-24, 04:10:43 PM »
Ray, I can give you some of my kaikai seeds ive been selecting for a couple generations for production, fat seed, and vigour. I have your tomato seeded melon seeds on my tabe ready to go just need to get to the post office!
"Maybe" said the farmer...

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-11-25, 01:35:32 PM »
Ray, I can give you some of my kaikai seeds ive been selecting for a couple generations for production, fat seed, and vigour. I have your tomato seeded melon seeds on my tabe ready to go just need to get to the post office!
That would be very much appreciated, thanks Nick.
Ray
Mildly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone; temperate climate modified by altitude (1000m); avg rainfall 780mm; usually wet summers and dry winters.